[Solved] 'No USB devices connected' - previously able to connect USBs but now unable

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
martinab

[Solved] 'No USB devices connected' - previously able to connect USBs but now unable

Post by martinab »

Hello,

I had installed virtualbox, added Guestadditions and extension pack matching my virtualbox version and the USB functionality was working without any problems. This continued for several months. I opened virtualbox again today and there were no USB devices listed in the menu bar, despite following my usual routine of plugging them in and ejecting from the host and waiting until they appeared in the guest os. My USB filters appear in tact in the Ports-USB tab of my VM settings. This same list used to appear in the Devices->USB drop down menu in the VM, however now it just states 'No USB devices connected' (greyed out).

I have been trying to follow the USB basics and troubleshooting thread to resolve the issue. This is what I have tried:

#1 Sharing USB: I have ejected the USB from the host, but it does not appear in the guest.
#2 Capturing a USB device in VirtualBox - USB filter: My filters were intact and unchanged from last use. I created a new blank filter but nothing happened. I tried removing the filters I had and adding them back. Even though the USB device was recognised by the host, when I click the '+ USB' icon it states "<no devices available>". I have tried fiddling around with selecting USB 1, 2 and 3 but it made no difference (note: when it worked before I had selected 'Enable USB controller - USB 3.0 xHCI controller").
#3 Device categories: I believe that I have been using 'Ejectable' type devices.
#4 USB Filters: I have tried removing USB filters (saving the information as I am unsure how else to find this) and adding them back in using the 'Add new USB filter with all fields initially set to empty strings' button and inputting only the Name, VendorID and ProductID. The filter was created but it did not solve the problem - it was still not detected in the guest OS.
#5 Common Problems: I believe my problem is in the category: 'No USB devices are listed. Something is not right with the installation of the VirtualBox USB filter. If you are on Linux, are you a member of the "vboxusers" group? Did you verify it? Did you logout/login or reboot? If you're on Windows did you try reinstalling VirtualBox with the Run-As-Administrator option?'. I am not using Linux so cannot follow the suggestion. I have a problem which prevents me from reinstalling VirtualBox (although I am unsure if this applies as I am on a mac OS). The problem is that I do not have easy access to the licenced copy of Windows which was used to set up my virtual machine. I am hesitant to uninstall my current version as it would set me back from working for several weeks until I am able to get a copy again and may not solve the problem in any case.
#6 Guest support: There is no indication of Windows 10 requiring additional drivers or being incompatible with different USB types. Since I had it working absolutely fine I am skeptical that the issue lies with my Guest OS type.
#7 Troubleshooting: "1) If the device shows up in your host and is not captured by the filter, either the filter is incorrect, or there might be a problem with your filter installation. For example you may have a blank filter, or a narrowly defined filter (too many conditionals)." I have tried a blank filter but it did not resolve the issue.
#8 Asking for help: This is where I'm at now. Please see below for system details. I have also attached a zip log file from the VM.

VBoxManage -version
5.2.6r120293
VBoxManage list extpacks
Extension Packs: 1
Pack no. 0: Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack
Version: 5.2.6
Revision: 120293
Edition:
Description: USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 Host Controller, Host Webcam, VirtualBox RDP, PXE ROM, Disk Encryption, NVMe.
VRDE Module: VBoxVRDP
Usable: true
Why unusable:
VBoxManage list usbhost
Host USB Devices:
<none>
VBoxManage list usbfilters
Global USB Device Filters:
<none>

I am not aware of having made any changes or updates in either the host or guest OS since the USB functionality last worked (that I can remember). Also, I have tried multiple USB devices and ports, all with the same results.

Thanks for any help!

P.S. I am completely new to forum posting and hugely appreciate it if anyone spares the time to reply. I don't have much technical knowledge and a lot of the info in other posts goes way over my head so feel free to explain things using dummy-proof language!
Attachments
Windows 10-2018-04-24-11-54-56.log.zip
(31.97 KiB) Downloaded 231 times
Last edited by socratis on 24. Apr 2018, 15:55, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
martinab

Re: 'No USB devices connected' - previously able to connect USBs but now unable

Post by martinab »

Solved.

Of all the things I tried, I failed to do the basic 'switch it off and on again'. I restarted my mac and all USBs were now recognised and filters worked fine!
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: 'No USB devices connected' - previously able to connect USBs but now unable

Post by socratis »

It's always the simple things that get you... ;)
Glad you got it going. Marking as [Solved].

PS. I will add your experience to the "USB basics and troubleshooting". Even if rather simple, the reboot is something that a lot of people have the tendency to... skip. ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
martinab

Re: [Solved] 'No USB devices connected' - previously able to connect USBs but now unable

Post by martinab »

Thank you socratis.

Yes, I hope it helps other people save some time!