[Solved] Installation 5.2.10 122088 High Sierra fails

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Sanl

[Solved] Installation 5.2.10 122088 High Sierra fails

Post by Sanl »

Hi,

I just tried to install 5.2.10 build 122088 several times. Installation failed message appears (dutch) during installation. I tried re-downloading and also checked sha.

Anyone also having this issue?
Last edited by socratis on 19. Apr 2018, 12:49, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Installation 5.2.10 122088 High Sierra fails

Post by socratis »

It would be best if you follow the procedure below after a reboot, and without running anything else on your Mac. The reason is that the logs are going to contain information related to the installation only, and not some random messages from Safari or Mail or something else.
  1. Once you start the installer package, press Cmd-L to show the installer log window.
  2. Choose to "Show All Logs" from the detail level drop-down list.
  3. Before you finalize the installation, due to error or not, click "Save" on the installer log window.
  4. ZIP it and attach it to your reply.
  5. Post the output of the commands (from /Applications/Utilities/Terminal):
    • 
      ls -ale@ /
      ls -ale@ /Applications
      ls -ale@ /Applications/VirtualBox
      ls -ale@ /private/tmp

I'd also like to see the output of 'sudo dmesg' right after the installation failed.

BTW, did you go to the Security pane of the System Preferences and allowed Oracle to install drivers (Apple TN2459)? And are you running local or are you RDPing in the Mac?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Sanl

Post by Sanl »

This should be what you asked. FYI: During gathering this I saw VBox actually did install, and I can start it. Don't know if it is complete

BTW: I am running locally.

OK indeed I need to grant drivers now it works! However the installer didn't ask me to grant the permission (normally the installer would ask me to grant acces or am i wrong?)
Attachments
output.zip
(6.87 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Sanl wrote:During gathering this I saw VBox actually did install, and I can start it.
Then why would I need to look at the "evidence"? ;)

But I *did* look at the evidence, and from the installer log:
NSFilePath = "./postflight";
NSLocalizedDescription = "An error occurred while running scripts from the package \U201cVirtualBox.pkg\U201d.";
NSURL = "file://localhost/Volumes/VirtualBox/VirtualBox.pkg#VBoxKEXTs.pkg";
PKInstallPackageIdentifier = "org.virtualbox.pkg.vboxkexts";
So, I don't get it; did it install without an error or not? Did you go to the Security pane of the System Preferences?

Please post the output of the command:
kextstat | grep -v com.apple
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Sanl

Post by Sanl »

Yes, it was on the security pane, after finding that and granting access it installed fine. So problem is solved, thank you.

The installer didn't ask me to grant the permission, isn't it supposed to do so?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Sanl wrote:The installer didn't ask me to grant the permission, isn't it supposed to do so?
How loud can you yell: "Apple, you suck! Big time!" ;)

Glad you got it going, marking as [Solved].