Guest for wireshark

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
A.malmros

Guest for wireshark

Post by A.malmros »

Hello fellow virtual box users.

I am on a voyage to learn a certain protocol for a certain cloud connected printer.

My plan was using virtual box to install windows XP.

Through shared USB devices to share usb wifi add-on to create a custom wifi for the device to connect to, then using wireshark, listen to the traffic between the device and its server somewhere in china.

Though the USB device installed as expected, I am not able to see any wireless networks at all.

Since the protocol I am to learn is very simple, and I believe doesn't even use ssl, It is actually just a matter of getting this to work enough to get a dump of the traffic.

Does any of you guys have any experience in those matters?

I am not creating the virtual router in osx, since the one wifi connection in the MacBook Pro I use, is the only one. There is no driver for osx for the USB wifi I've connected.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Guest for wireshark

Post by socratis »

A.malmros wrote:Though the USB device installed as expected, I am not able to see any wireless networks at all.
Are you using USB passthrough or are you using the network provided by the device as a network bridged one? Is your device seen in WinXP?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.