Bridged network fails

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
TikiMojo

Bridged network fails

Post by TikiMojo »

I'm working as a web developer at a small company that has frequent internet and server outages, so I've been working on building a VirtualBox VM of Ubuntu 16.04 so that I can have a local copy of the work I'm doing that I can also copy to another machine as needed.

My host machines (so far) are OS X 10.10.5 and Ubuntu 16.04. Guest OS is also Ubuntu 16.04. VirtualBox is 5.2.8.

My Ubuntu guest works fine with the network in NAT on both hosts. When I shutdown and set the network to bridged - which is what I need - and reboot, the network connection icon in Ubuntu guest shows a twirly icon spinning... and eventually says I'm disconnected from the network.

The best hint I can find here on the forums is to set the advanced networking to "promiscuous" but it has no effect here.

At first I thought this was only affecting the Ubuntu host, as it *was* working on the OS X host, but now it's not. For no reason I can tell. It did work *once* on the Ubuntu host. Now it's not working.

Both machines are on the wired network, not the wifi.

I'm stumped. Any clues?
ChipMcK
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, OSX

Re: Bridged network fails

Post by ChipMcK »

Same Name ???
TikiMojo

Post by TikiMojo »

ChipMcK wrote:Same Name ???
Which name are you referring to?
ChipMcK
Volunteer

Post by ChipMcK »

the network to bridged - . . - and reboot, the network connection icon in Ubuntu guest shows a twirly icon spinning
What name ??
The name that the guest is presenting to the network as unique.
I can also copy to another machine as needed
Did you update the MAC addresss ??
TikiMojo

Post by TikiMojo »

I'm a bit new to VirtualBox, this is the most I've used it so far. Thank you for your patience with my learning curve!

While I have the guest OS shut down, Under settings -> network I see a "name" field, but there's only one option: "eon1"
Is this the name setting you are referring to?

I've dropped down the advanced settings there and hit the "refresh" button on the MAC addr a few times.

Unfortunately on boot, the network icon shows the spinning animation and after a minute or two says I've been disconnected from the network.
ChipMcK
Volunteer

Post by ChipMcK »

TikiMojo wrote:While I have the guest OS shut down, Under settings -> network I see a "name" field, but there's only one option: "eon1"
Is this the name setting you are referring to?
no. the name would be inside your guest: system, computer name ? I am not a Ubuntu user
TikiMojo wrote:I've dropped down the advanced settings there and hit the "refresh" button on the MAC addr a few times.
make they have different values
TikiMojo

Post by TikiMojo »

I've checked and the host machine and the guest OS each have a unique MAC address and different names in /etc/hosts and /etc/hostname.

Were those the names you were referring to? Hm. What else is there to look into?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I think it's about time we saw a log. With the VM fully shut down, right click it in the GUI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.
TikiMojo

Post by TikiMojo »

Please find the log file attached. As I am not in the office at the moment, this log is from the Ubuntu 16.04 guest VM running on VirtualBox 5.2.8 on OS X. It is showing the same problems as the Ubuntu host.

Thank you for your assistance.
Attachments
ubuntu-studio-local-2018-04-04-10-50-46.log.zip
(23.3 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

According to the provided log, this VM is not set up for bridged, it's set up to communicate over internal networking - meaning VM to VM fully virtual, no internet access.
TikiMojo

Post by TikiMojo »

Well, that's curious. Please see attached screenshot. The virtualbox UI is set to "bridged".

This is the OS X version. See below for the Ubuntu version.

Both exhibit the same behavior. Curious stuff. Is there a CLI way of setting the network? or a text file I could edit somewhere?
Attachments
screenshot of virtual box UI
screenshot of virtual box UI
bridged.png (86.33 KiB) Viewed 3814 times
Last edited by TikiMojo on 5. Apr 2018, 20:29, edited 1 time in total.
TikiMojo

Post by TikiMojo »

Here's the log from the Ubuntu 16.04 guest vm running on my Ubuntu 16.04 desktop.

Has the same symptoms, same behavior. As you can see, the UI of virtualbox also believes it's set to "bridged".
screen shot of virtual box UI
screen shot of virtual box UI
network.jpg (44.55 KiB) Viewed 3811 times
Attachments
ubuntu-local-2018-04-05-10-37-56.log
log file of ubuntu vm
(111.86 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Hmm. Perhaps I misread the log. I saw the line <Driver = "IntNet"> and assumed that had to mean you were using internal networking. But I just tried a bridged mode VM and got the same thing. Must be a legacy.

Now just raising something that has irked me for a while... are you certain that "eno1" is a valid physical Ethernet port? I am not a Linux user, but I thought they used names like "eth0" and "eth1" etc.

I don't tend to use bridged networking a lot (NAT is fine for my needs), but I just tried switching one of my favorite Win7 VMs to bridged networking as a test. One surprise is that Win7 noticed the change, I guess it noticed that the DHCP assigned IP address was of a different type than before. This implies that it's possible for a guest OS to decide that it isn't configured properly for this network, and that you just need to fix the guest configuration.
TikiMojo

Post by TikiMojo »

Well, "eno1" is the only option in the drop-down list, and there's no way to type something else different in there.

Here's the output from ifconfig:

Code: Select all

sbp@Ubuntu-local:~$ ifconfig
enp0s3    Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 08:00:27:4b:81:1f  
          inet addr:10.0.2.15  Bcast:10.0.2.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          inet6 addr: fe80::53b7:5594:5084:33b3/64 Scope:Link
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:18 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:58 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 
          RX bytes:2905 (2.9 KB)  TX bytes:7118 (7.1 KB)

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback  
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:65536  Metric:1
          RX packets:204 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:204 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 
          RX bytes:15399 (15.3 KB)  TX bytes:15399 (15.3 KB)
I'm not seeing an eno1 interface. Not sure what to do about that.
Last edited by socratis on 11. Apr 2018, 09:42, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

I also have a problem with that "eno1" thing. Where do you see that? What drop-down do you refer to? Nothing comes up with any internet search...

And the output from ifconfig shows 10.0.2.15, which is a NAT address. Unless by some weird luck your LAN is also using 10.0.2.x addresses.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.