Network communication between Guest and Host

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
PaulL

Network communication between Guest and Host

Post by PaulL »

Hi,

im a new user with VB running it on a MAC device.
I would like to achive the followig use case and ask for advice / perhaps sugesstion for best pratice.
Applogies, but im not very knowlwged with Network languge and have nearl no experince.

Use Case:
I have several VM's (Windows and Linux OS). One Winodws VM is running as AD / DNS for all the other systems.
On my Mac OS (the HOST) High Sierra 10.13.3 I have a application running that needs to communicate with the VM's via port 9997, 8089 and 514. This application is SPLUNK and I'm using the Splunk insatce to monitor Syslog's etc.
My Mac is not always connected to the Internet or to the Network.

Current Setup with VB:
>> VM's are set to "bridged adapter"

So my idea was I could redirect from thw VM's to the Host ...

MY QUESTION :)
>> what Network connection do I need configured, to achieve the connection to the host
>> ans most important what IP / address do I need to contact from the VM's to get the connection?

Thanks for all your help :)

Paul
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Network communication between Guest and Host

Post by socratis »

Please read the following: User Manual, ch. 6.2. Introduction to networking modes including the Overview table, which shows quickly what kind of connection is required to achieve what you want. And remember, you can always have more than one network card in your guest to cover multiple scenarios.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: Network communication between Guest and Host

Post by BillG »

Running an Active Directory domain in vms is a pretty tough assignment for someone without much vm or network experience.

The standard way to run a domain of vms is to put them in their own virtual network, not run them in bridged mode. Bridged mode is also a bad choice it this is a laptop which moves from one location to another. The host machine is usually not part of the domain network, even if the host is a Windows machine. I always regard the host as a "black box" which powers the virtual system but plays no part in it.

Why do you want to monitor the vms from the host? Why not do it from one of the Windows or Linux vms which is in the same network?
Bill