[WorksForMe] A media driver your computer needs is missing

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
JSWilson

[WorksForMe] A media driver your computer needs is missing

Post by JSWilson »

I am trying to install Windows 10 on a VirtualBox Version 5.2.8 r121009 host running on a Mac Mini Mid 2010 running MacOS High Sierra version 10.13.3. As soon as the windows install starts it pops up a window asking to load a driver. it says:"A media driver your computer needs is missing". I load VBoxGuestAdditions.iso in the virtual optical drive. However, it still can't find the driver. What do I do next?
Last edited by socratis on 14. Mar 2018, 19:13, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [WorksForMe].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: A media driver your computer needs is missing

Post by socratis »

You do not need the Guest Additions (GAs) CD at this point. I don't know why you're getting this message, but either 1) you deviated seriously from the proposed defaults, or 2) your Win10 DVD is not an official one and it's an OEM one, asking for specific hardware, or lacking drivers for the hardware presented by the VM.

Delete your existing VM (along with its files). Create a new VM. Stick to the defaults. If the installation fails, check your DVD if it's an original one...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
JSWilson

Post by JSWilson »

I tried Windows 7 Ultimate with Service Pack 1 - Retail x86 and Windows 10 Version 1703 (Updated July 2017) x64. In both cases I used just the defaults on the VM. I have MSDN so I have access to all the versions of Windows. Is there any one that is known to work? I have the BootCamp drivers on a USB drive attached to the VM but It didn't find anything useful there. It seems to be missing a intel chipset driver.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I honestly don't have a clue what you're talking about. When did Bootcamp come into play? AFAIK, all of the standard Win installation DVDs work right out of the box. I'm not sure what you're doing...

Start the VM installation, let it fail, shut it down (force it if you have to), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log". Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
JSWilson

Post by JSWilson »

I downloaded Windows 7 x64 because that is the default version of windows for VirtualBox and installed it without any issue. Thanks for your help!
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Glad you got it going. Marking as [WorksForMe].
JSWilson

Re: [WorksForMe] A media driver your computer needs is missing

Post by JSWilson »

Windows 7 x64 works so well I decided to try Windows 10 x64 again. I did a fresh download of en_windows_10_multi-edition_version_1709_updated_dec_2017_x64_dvd_100406711.iso which is newer than the one I had tried previously. It also complains about a driver being missing.
Attachments
Win10-2018-03-14-16-04-52.log.zip
This is the log file you requested.
(23.35 KiB) Downloaded 77 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

JSWilson wrote:It also complains about a driver being missing.
I have no clue what's going on here. You mentioned that you're downloading the MSDN versions. I do not have access to those. Can you please try with a more "standard", public one? Then we can be on the same page and see what's going on. I got the following link, valid until 2018-03-16 00:14:28 UTC: I'm downloading it as I right this. The only thing I can think of at this point is your older CPU, but that shouldn't be a "missing driver" problem...
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

JSWilson wrote:Windows 7 x64 works so well I decided to try Windows 10 x64 again. I did a fresh download of en_windows_10_multi-edition_version_1709_updated_dec_2017_x64_dvd_100406711.iso which is newer than the one I had tried previously. It also complains about a driver being missing.
Did you verify the checksum of your (new) download?
JSWilson

Post by JSWilson »

Yes, I verified the checksums. The one that installed had a valid checksum the others did not. That appears to be the problem.
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

"missing media driver" is often an indicator for a bad download / broken ISO file. ;)