Critical error occurring

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Romualdo85

Critical error occurring

Post by Romualdo85 »

HI everyone,
I'm using virtual box on a MacBook 12'' with McOS Sierra 10.12.6, to run a simulated win XP system on which I use my NVivo 10 and other tools for research.
Now, I've just updated tonight to Virtual Box 5.2.8 r121009 (Qt5.6.3), when while I was using Nvivo, the antivirus I have on XP (avast) asked me to re-start to update.
I saved and did that and... It crashed since then. I re-booted and it crashed several times with the same message (see below).
I have have to say in 7 years I use VB on different MACs and configuration, that's the first crash ever. What shall I do?

Thanks in advance!
Best,
MB
---------
A critical error has occurred while running the virtual machine and the machine execution has been stopped.
For help, please see the Community section on virtualbox(dot)org or your support contract. Please provide the contents of the log file VBox.log and the image file VBox.png, which you can find in the (name) directory, as well as a description of what you were doing when this error happened. Note that you can also access the above files by selecting Show Log from the Machine menu of the main VirtualBox window.
Press OK if you want to power off the machine or press Ignore if you want to leave it as is for debugging. Please note that debugging requires special knowledge and tools, so it is recommended to press OK now.
------

PS: here attached the logs as indicated in the error message.
Attachments
VBox.png
VBox.png (31.36 KiB) Viewed 3277 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Critical error occurring

Post by socratis »

Romualdo85 wrote:vbox.log
last part of the log (all log too heavy)
I have deleted your partial, RTF, non-zipped VBox.log. Please do *not* turn your text-only file into an RTF, simply Compress it before attaching it.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Romualdo85

Post by Romualdo85 »

You are right Socratis, here I uploaded the zip version.
I hope it's ok like this.
Best,
MB
Attachments
VboxLog.zip
(56.21 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

VBox.log wrote:
00:00:02.702865 Host RAM: 8192MB (8.0GB) total, 3244MB (3.1GB) available
00:00:02.989951 RamSize <integer> = 0x0000000100000000 (4 294 967 296, 4 096 MB, 4.0 GB)
00:00:02.990498 VRamSize <integer> = 0x0000000002800000 (41 943 040, 40 MB)
You are allocating RAM to your guest that you don't have available on your host. I would start by setting the guests RAM to 2.0GB. My iMAC is similarly limited and I am having to wait until the piggy bank is full again to buy it some more!
VBox.log wrote:
00:01:09.823316 !! VCPU0: Guru Meditation 1155 (VINF_EM_TRIPLE_FAULT)
This may go away when you fix the RAM issue above, or it might need some more investigation!

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

00:00:02.702865 Host RAM: 8192MB (8.0GB) total, 3244MB (3.1GB) available
00:00:02.989951 RamSize <integer> = 0x0000000100000000 (4 294 967 296, 4 096 MB, 4.0 GB)
You are assigning memory to your guest, that you do not have available. Either close some applications on the host, buy more RAM for the host, or reduce the amount of RAM assigned to the guest.

May I suggest a couple of applications, so that you know what's available on your system at any given time? What I do, is to have several monitor tools running at all times. Your preference may vary, but you can use either of them (I use all of them concurrently):
00:00:03.358891 CPUM: Physical host cores: 2
00:00:02.989946 NumCPUs <integer> = 0x0000000000000002 (2)
You have assigned all your CPUs to the VM. The host is going to run low on resources, since VirtualBox cares about physical processors (cores), not logical ones (threads). See "CPU Cores versus threads" and "Why is it a bad idea to allocate as many VCPUs as there are physical CPUs?". Your i5-7Y54 has 2 cores.
00:00:02.818684 Guest OS type: 'WindowsXP_64'
Are you indeed running the 64-bit version of XP? That's a really rare beast...
Romualdo85 wrote:the antivirus I have on XP (avast) asked me to re-start to update.
And that's what caused your problem. Get rid of Avast, problem gone (95%). Boot into safe mode, get rid of Avast.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

A bit more...
VBox.log wrote:
00:00:10.030477 VMMDev: Guest Additions information report: Version 4.3.20 r96996 '4.3.20'
Until you can get it to boot long enough you aren't going to be able to resolve this but GA 4.3.20 are very old and should be updated.
VBox.log wrote:
00:00:10.030593 VMMDev: Guest Additions information report: Interface = 0x00010004 osType = 0x00034100 (Windows 2k3, 64-bit)
I haven't checked the code to see how this is determined but the guest seems to think it is possibly Windows Server 2003 not Windows XP. If it is the former there is a specific template for the 64bit version.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
Romualdo85

Post by Romualdo85 »

So, I've changed both the RAM (to 2BG) and the processor (to 1 core) like you suggested (nonetheless it was working perfectly before with those settings).

As I said, yesterday I've updated the VM version and with that the GA Version to the newest (at least the system told me so..).

Now, with this new settings I have a new problem.. It booted once again with same problems and not it does not boot anymore (see new log and jpg).

What shall I do?
Windows could not start because the following file is missing
or corrupt:
<Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe.
Please re-install a copy of the above file.
Attachments
VBox.log
(105 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
Last edited by socratis on 13. Mar 2018, 14:25, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Replaced attachment with actual text. Be more "green".
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Please edit your message and do the following:
  1. ZIP your VBox.log and replace VBox.log with the VBox.log.zip.
  2. Open the image in Preview.app. Crop the image to the Region of Interest (the actual message, not your whole desktop). Then go into the properties and change the DPI from 144 to 72. Not everyone is blessed with a HiDPI image, and it makes it difficult to read.
 Edit: Image replaced with actual text, more... "green" ;) 
andyp73
Volunteer

Post by andyp73 »

Romualdo85 wrote:As I said, yesterday I've updated the VM version and with that the GA Version to the newest (at least the system told me so..).
From the previous log file it looks like you updated VirtualBox and the extension pack (extpack) to v5.2.8 but not the guest additions (GA). The extpack and GA are different things but we can't do a great deal about the later until we can get the guest to boot reliably!

Some old Windows versions had different boot file depending whether they were uni- or multi-processor. Whilst it isn't ideal in terms of sharing out the resources between host and guest can you set it back to 2 CPUs and see if it gets any further?

-Andy.
Romualdo85

Post by Romualdo85 »

Thank you Andyp73, I've re-allocated two core, but still nothing.

What If I use time machine to recover the Virtualbox folder that I had yesterday before upgrading anything.
Should it work, isn't it?
Romualdo85

Post by Romualdo85 »

HI There,

I passed the last day to try any combination to finally re-access my virtual box.
I have cancelled it and re-instated the files .vdi with time machine, and I have cancelled and re-installed different virtual box versions (with extensions) which gave me reputedly similar errors.

the one I have now consistently is the "missing Ntoskrnl.exe " (see log zipped attached).

Can you please tell me if there a way to fix this problem and finally see my data back!
Thank you very very much in advance!
MB
Attachments
VBox.log.zip
(22.29 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

All these errors are coming from within the guest. They're not VirtualBox errors. You got to think in WindowsXP_64 terms.

If you can't fix the error, you can install a second VM. Then attach the VDI with the broken XP as a secondary hard drive to the newly created VM. Then you can get your data out.