[Solved] Unable to open Windows 10 after update

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Chiti

[Solved] Unable to open Windows 10 after update

Post by Chiti »

I have been using Windows 10 on my Mac Virtualbozx for nearly a year without any problems. I let Windows 10 update today but all I get when I try to open Windows is an error message that says "Please enter the external storage media and press OK". If I try to connect the external drive I used for the update (Windows asked me to connect one), Windows gets stuck on restoring to a previous version of Windows and back to the same error message eventually.
I can't afford to lose my data, so I wonder if there is any way to access Windows Advanced Startup Options to restore my old Windows setup.
Last edited by socratis on 8. Mar 2018, 16:49, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Unable to open Windows 10 after update

Post by socratis »

Chiti wrote:Virtualbozx
You know it's open source and not a hack0rz thing, right? ;)
Chiti wrote:I wonder if there is any way to access Windows Advanced Startup Options
Search the web for "Windows Advanced Startup Options"?
Chiti wrote:I can't afford to lose my data
I assume you don't have a backup. At least you got a lesson out of this experience. I just hope it's not a painful lesson...

You can create a 2nd VM and attach your old VDI as a secondary HD once the VM installation is done. Then you could access your data like that. Same as if in the real world...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Chiti

Post by Chiti »

Than you for your replies. As you have probably guessed, I am not very knowledgeable - Could you please let me know what a VDI is and how I attach it to a new Virtualbox instalation? I would be really grateful for your help.
Chiti

Post by Chiti »

socratis wrote:
Chiti wrote:I can't afford to lose my data
I assume you don't have a backup. At least you got a lesson out of this experience. I just hope it's not a painful lesson...
You are absolutely right
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

You sound like a fairly new user to VirtualBox. Since you are expected to know some basic terms before we engage in a meaningful discussion, I would suggest to start by reading three small chapters from the User Manual: You should have a searchable PDF included with your installation (Help » Contents). Take advantage of that fact, and use it to search the PDF for the terms that interest you.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Chiti

Post by Chiti »

I have read the recommended chapters and I think I get the picture. What I don't understad however is whether/how I am going to be able to access existing files on the first VM without being able to open/start it. Thank you.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

socratis wrote:You can create a 2nd VM and attach your old VDI as a secondary HD once the VM installation is done. Then you could access your data like that. Same as if in the real world...
Chiti

Post by Chiti »

Thank you Socrates. I'll try that and let you know how I get on.
Chiti

Post by Chiti »

All done and nothing lost. Thanks again Socratis
Chiti

Post by Chiti »

Sorry Socratis, one last question - Now that I have retrieved all my data files from the first VM, is it safe for me to remove the VM? Thank you.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Chiti wrote:Now that I have retrieved all my data files from the first VM
If you retrieved them somewhere outside the VM, sure, why not? When you remove it from the GUI, make sure to click on the "Delete all files". That will clear the VM's virtual HD and potential snapshots from your host...

Glad you got it going. Marking as [Solved].