Parallels Vs Vbox

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
h1d
Volunteer

Post by h1d »

Somewhat derailing but I guess it's valid to talk about VMWare in here too.

I just took the time to try the VMware beta... and oh my, native partition Windows takes like 5 minutes or more to boot while taking complete 100% CPU... (actually 180% or so if both cores are given to guest...) slowing down the host to a crawl... Their stable version GUI is quite buggy too. And this is one of the best known virtualization company out there? :roll:

Although, in my experience against Parallels demo version, VMware did run things smoother (like browser scrolling) once vmware actually runs. VBox does it about on par against Parallels, but the lack of booting the raw Windows partition just won't let me get rid of vmware.
ramzez

Post by ramzez »

I hope the Virtual Box will improve with time, i really want to be able to use PPTP VPN and Bluetooth and camera on Mac OSX.
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

Hi,

I've just made the move from Parallels 3.0 to VirtualBox 2.0. I notice VB is much faster to boot the VM and doesn't slow down my Mac (Mac Mini - Leopard, 2GB RAM, 1.83Ghz) at all compared to Parallels, I was amazed.

I did try to convert my currently perfect XP Pro setup to VB but without success, in an earlier post someone mentions Parallels Mounter.app which I think was part of the earlier releases as I couldn't find it under Parallels 3.0. The only time I could get the XP drive mounted on my Mac was when the VM was running which meant it gave me sharing violations when trying to copy the contents to a dmg. I didn't try the other conversion route as I only run two apps under Windows and didn't want to waste more time with the convert which may not have worked so ended up reinstalling.

Overall VB is excellent, for what I need it's way better than Parallels - shame I didn't know about it ages ago.

Thanks everyone,
Chris
davert

Post by davert »

Parallels Mounter is not available as a separate program - it's part of a package somewhere - you just right-click on the drive image and it'll show up.