error during USB Device attachement!

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
paolopri

error during USB Device attachement!

Post by paolopri »

Hi, I tried to attach a USB Device form the menu (a mdi controller) but the system fails to complete the operation.
My system host: Mac OsX High Sierra
My System Guest: Windows 10.
I upload the screenshot of the message and the log file.
Attachments
VBox.log
(109.81 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
virtualbox.png
virtualbox.png (76.09 KiB) Viewed 1546 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: error during USB Device attachement!

Post by socratis »

paolopri wrote:but the system fails to complete the operation.
No, it's actually the system that has captured the device already and you can't have two processes that capture the same device. You'll need to create a filter and insert the device after your VM has started.

Please read the following thread: USB basics and troubleshooting, all of the posts. If you still have a problem after reading through the whole thing, please follow the advice of the last post, #8: Asking for help and post the information requested.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Gaston
Guest OSses: SANS Sift 3

Post by Gaston »

Take an USB extension cable to lock down the attached USB device to an older USB mode. This will fix the impact but not the root cause (not having a proper USB driver with the extension pack).

/update
The root cause is not a bad USB driver it's the way you need set up USB mode and to switch to an higher USB mode
Last edited by Gaston on 2. Mar 2018, 13:11, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@Gaston
Excuse me, but... what are you talking about?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Gaston
Guest OSses: SANS Sift 3

Post by Gaston »

If you read the most incidents to this issue above in the Internet, there's a problem to get the USB on the host drive above USB 1.1 on the host.
In this occasion you sometimes get the USB device connected but loose connection at any time. If your're using an extension cable which really has only 4 pins and not 5 as a WD Passport HDD with Micro-B to Type-A (Sorry can't posts links as a new member) you lock down the USB mode and you can connect without any issue.
Main problem is that you can't switch the USB mode while the VM is runnng. It must be switched/ changed in the Oracle VM Box Manager under USB when the VM is switched of. Than you can use the HDD without this "lock down cable". I bet that most tickets are related to this issue 0x80004005 error.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Gaston wrote:I bet that most tickets are related to this issue 0x80004005 error.
No, actually they're not. The OP's problem (and most of the problems) is that "the device is in use". From the host. And since a USB device cannot be shared, it must be freed/released from the host. Not a USB1/2/3 problem. See "USB basics and troubleshooting" for more details.