VMs don't run after update

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Bicycle

VMs don't run after update

Post by Bicycle »

I just updated to 5.2.8 and none of my VMs will run anymore but they were running fine on 5.2.6 except for USB as previously noted. I hope I don't have to rebuild them all as I have had to do on occasion after previous updates. I am using a Mac Mini server running 10.13.3. The VMs I use are Linux Mint, openSuSE LEAP, Centos, and Windows 7.

I can see then start to boot but they never get to the login screen and Activity Monitor says Virtual Box is using 200% of the CPU ( 2 of my 4 cores are pegged) indefinitely.
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: VMs don't run after update

Post by andyp73 »

Bicycle wrote:I just updated to 5.2.8 and none of my VMs will run anymore
Saying they won't run is a sweeping statement - I suspect that they do run up to a point before they fail. As we aren't sat in front of your computer you are going to need to provide the log file (zipped of course) from a failed session. Start the VM, run it until it does whatever it does that is incorrect, shut it down, post the log.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
Bicycle

Post by Bicycle »

I can't get to the logs on the VM because it never comes up far enough to get logged in. I see the start screen, for example I see the green diamonds as SuSE is starting but then the screen goes black and stays that way. The mac Activity Monitor shows VirtualBox running 206% + or - a tiny bit of the cpu for close to 8 hours straight before I forcefully shut it down.

There are 4 virtual box logs timestamped about a year ago apparently when I created the VM showing the same date and time and the version as 5.1.14. I have run a number of VirtualBox versions since then so I don't know why the logs only show when I created them.
Attachments
logfiles.zip
(215.59 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

As you say all the logs, including those from yesterday have the 5.1.14 version stamp in them. Are you sure the install of 5.2.8 (and the previous one of 5.2.6 ran OK?

If you look at the version in the VirtualBox Manger GUI or run "vboxmanage --version" in a terminal window what does it report?

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
Bicycle

Post by Bicycle »

5.2.6 ran fine except that I couldn't get anything but USB 1.1 to work even with the extensions installed. When I look at the about box it claims I am running 5.2.8.

Vboxmanage says "5.2.8r121009"
Bicycle

Post by Bicycle »

So am I going to have to rebuild all my VM's from scratch?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-03-06 at 09.33.02.zip
(239.29 KiB) Downloaded 37 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Look, in future please provide one log, not 8. I will only bother looking at the first one.

In that, your problem looks quite straightforward, and nothing to do with VirtualBox version (though different versions may have different tipping points): you don't have the available RAM you've configured for the guest. Horrifically so. On the other hand the graphics RAM allocation is extremely weak. Are you ignoring warnings about this in the settings dialog?
VBox.log wrote: 00:00:07.660537 Host RAM: 8192MB (8.0GB) total, 2866MB (2.7GB) available
00:00:08.422588 RamSize <integer> = 0x0000000100000000 (4 294 967 296, 4 096 MB, 4 GB)
00:00:08.423142 VRamSize <integer> = 0x0000000001000000 (16 777 216, 16 MB)
At least you're not overcommitting cores too.
Bicycle

Post by Bicycle »

I cut the ram down to 3072 more than a year ago after an update from Apple in January 2017 that vastly increased the amount of memory used in caches (and not redeemable by apps). It was recently running fine on 5.2.6 with that amount of ram. Fine, I cut it back further to 2.5GB (2560MB) and still get the same result.

And another anomaly showed up. This morning it showed openSuSE LEAP in the list of VM's but wouldn't show Linux Mint but now just a few hours later it shows Linux Mint but not openSuSE LEAP.!? I didn't reboot or do anything else that I would expect to cause a change like that. Linux Mint 18.3 also shows the bootup screen but then goes black and CPU's pegged. AND the logs haven't changed and still show dates and versions from a year ago.

If you only want 1 log please say so. There ALWAYS seem to be 4 but they all seem to be substantially the same as far as I can tell. I didn't know what you wanted when you asked for the logs.

PS. I am taking the amount of graphics ram as suggested by VirtualBox, no more, no less and it was happy on 5.2.6. I am not doing any graphics apps other than the window manager.
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Bicycle wrote:It was recently running fine on 5.2.6 with that amount of ram.
5.2.6 or 15.4.10 doesn't matter. The amount of available host RAM doesn't depend on your VirtualBox version. So, if today you have too many YouTube tabs open on too many browsers, you might have a problem, which won't be there tomorrow.

May I suggest a couple of applications, so that you know what's available on your system at any given time? What I do, is to have several monitor tools running at all times. Your preference may vary, but you can use either of them (I use all of them concurrently):
Bicycle wrote:If you only want 1 log please say so. There ALWAYS seem to be 4
The default is 4 logs, from the last 4 runs, see the dates. We're interested in a complete VM run (startup/error/shutdown) where you see the error.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Bicycle

Post by Bicycle »

I've rebuilt the SuSE VM 5 times in the last few days. It seems to run fine after install from the 42.3 LEAP iso from distrowatch. Still seems to run after updating the 6 updates that are required before any other updates can be done and still runs after 'needed updates' are installed but then I get the same behavior of black screen and pegged cpus after installing 'recommended' updates. Installing 1 at 1 time I found out that the xorg 'recommended' updates will not install and in fact crash the updater. BUT all the updates install fine on a physical machine (Core 2 Duo).

AND still after all that the logs show the date and version from last year. Yes I checked the permissions.
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Bicycle wrote:AND still after all that the logs show the date and version from last year. Yes I checked the permissions.
Then I suggest you take a second, third and fourth look at your VirtualBox installation. Uninstall it, clean up your environment, obviously without touching your VMs or their directories.

Find the "/Users/<you>/Library/VirtualBox/VirtualBox.xml" file. ZIP it and attach it.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Bicycle

Post by Bicycle »

Should I delete the stuff in ~/Library/Virtualbox also before I reinstall? Should I delete the log files in the directories with the VM's?