How to install files from disk onto windows VM from Mac?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
WelshMatt983

How to install files from disk onto windows VM from Mac?

Post by WelshMatt983 »

Hi I have windows installed on my mac, I was an external disk drive and bought a copy of Microsoft Office 2010 Starter Pack, was just wondering what was the easiest way to get it installed onto windows VM? I tried to drag and drop files individually but didn't work, any idea's?

Thanks in advance for any replies.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: How to install files from disk onto windows VM from Mac?

Post by mpack »

Depends how the software is distributed.

If the software came on a CD, copy the CD to an ISO/DMG image, and mount the image in a virtual CD drive in the VM.

If the software exists as a file on the host, copy the file into the guest via a shared folder (requires the GAs to be installed in the guest).

If it's a download, then download it directly into the guest OS.
WelshMatt983

Post by WelshMatt983 »

I have copied the CD and created an ISO file, I dragged n dropped into windows desktop, I installed a virtual CDrom then selecting mount and navigating to file, then it says mount failed? Any idea where I may be going wrong?
Last edited by socratis on 11. Feb 2018, 02:16, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
WelshMatt983

Post by WelshMatt983 »

Sorted it now, what I virtual CD drive was not compatible with windows 7 so downloaded a different one and worked, thanks for the advice anyway. :D
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

You didn't have to do the second part, in your guest. What you do is to load the ISO from VirtualBox. Either from the bottom-right corner of the VM window with the CD icon, or from the VM settings » Storage:

or even from the VM details:
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.