[Solved] Windows 10 Install Freezes after Keyboard Selection

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
MiamiBourne

[Solved] Windows 10 Install Freezes after Keyboard Selection

Post by MiamiBourne »

I have a 2017 13" Macbook Pro and I'm trying to install an ISO copy of Windows 10 w/out an activation key. I'm not sure if this is the best way but I'm trying to use Windows 10 for free as I need to run an app temporary (for the next 5 weeks) for a class project on my Macbook Pro.

So as I'm going through the installation process, after selecting my keyboard the install just hangs.

I'm following the tutorial on YouTube titled (can't post links yet, too new) 'Installing VirtualBox and Windows 10 on a Mac'.

Am I using the correct copy of Windows 10 if I want to use it for free w/out activation?

I downloaded the Virtualbox extensions as well which is outlined in the video.

The only thing I didn't follow in the video was that I used Dynamically Allocated storage instead of fixed storage. I tried fixed storage but got an error. Fixed storage seems to recommend 50gb and I only wanted to use 35gb so I'm not sure if that was an issue.

Thanks in advance from a noob!
Last edited by socratis on 8. Feb 2018, 10:09, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Windows 10 Install Freezes after Keyboard Selection

Post by socratis »

If you're a n00b, I'd suggest the User Manual, not a random video. Stick with the proposed defaults from the template, unless you know what you're doing. So, delete what you've done (you won't lose much), and create a new VM. Stick to the defaults.

Since you are expected to know some basic terms before we engage in a meaningful discussion, I would suggest to start by reading three small chapters from the User Manual:
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
MiamiBourne

Post by MiamiBourne »

Thanks. I will read through those links and familiarize myself.
MiamiBourne

Post by MiamiBourne »

UPDATE:

I deleted the original install and started over. Previously from the Windows 10 ISO file I selected Windows 10 Home and I changed the Dynamically Allocated Storage to 35gb.

The next installation I choose Windows 10 Pro and left the Dynamically Allocated Storage to the 50gb default and the install completed without issue.

My next issue is just getting a better screen resolution as I'm only able to select 1600 x 1200 from Windows 10. I'll have to do more research on that.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

MiamiBourne wrote:I'm only able to select 1600 x 1200 from Windows 10. I'll have to do more research on that.
Keep on reading the manual. You'll find ch. 1.8.5. Resizing the machine's window, which will point you to ch. 4. Guest Additions. You should also have a searchable PDF included with your installation (Help » Contents). Take advantage of that fact, and use it to search the PDF for the terms that interest you.

Marking this one as [Solved]. If you have another issue, please open a new thread with an appropriate title.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.