Windows 10 guest freezes up my entire iMac

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Buayaguy

Re: Windows 10 guest freezes up my entire iMac

Post by Buayaguy »

Hmm...totally forgot about diagnostics, I'll probably run it when I reboot into the macOS side :)

As I said, I completely reinstalled the OS because I was using so much disk space (probably from all the audio samples I had in GarageBand and Logic...)

I really didn't think I was using that much space, but apparently I was, so I just nuked everything and started over. So I may go back and try FF again, because it did seem to handle memory better overall than Chrome did - I regularly have 20+ tabs open, and after a few days (if I let it go that far), Chrome is eating up 7-8 gigs of memory. I let FF go a few days and it never went above 5, and sometimes went back down into the 4 range...

The only reason I suspected FF is because it was the *only* new app I was running when the reboots started to happen. My iMac is otherwise pretty stable, usually staying up for weeks at a time.

**Update**

I went ahead and did the diagnostics test since I was rebooting anyway, and of course, no issues found...

I'm reinstalling Firefox, and I'm gonna give that a try again, because, like I said, it definitely uses less memory (and manages it better) than Chrome does.
Buayaguy

Post by Buayaguy »

I know we're getting off topic with this, but imagine - I literally just reinstalled High Sierra the other day, there's almost nothing on this computer right now. I decided to reload Firefox and give it a shot, and it worked great for over a day. Just a few hours ago, I had a youtube video running fullscreen and the whole thing FROZE on me (and I had been running full screen videos before when it was working earlier in the day) -- just the fact that Firefox crashes a newly installed High Sierra machine is really amazing. I'll probably go look for the crash file and send it to them, because that's just crazy.

Needless to say, back to Chrome for the foreseeable future at this point....
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

I'm 99.9% confident that it's not Firefox either. You may have a faulty motherboard or something similar, like a malfunctioning GPU. I would take it to a Genius bar to have a look at it...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.