Make USB permanently available for guest

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Ragnar666

Make USB permanently available for guest

Post by Ragnar666 »

Hi,

finally I found a solution which makes a USB device permanently available to the guest. :D

Before I always had to replug the device physically when the guest was running to use it. This was annoying.

I've discovered a tool called "USB Network Gate". It lists all my USB devices attached to the Mac. After choosing the device I want to use with the guest and select "share" its status changes from "Available" to "Held". (terminal: VBoxManage list usbhosts")

Host USB Devices:

Code: Select all

UUID:               fe7d6a39-c296-4eff-8315-217893ae01b4
VendorId:           0x0d46 (0D46)
ProductId:          0x3003 (3003)
Revision:           1.25 (0125)
Port:               1
USB version/speed:  0/Full
Manufacturer:       KOBIL
Product:            KAAN SIM III
SerialNumber:       E_115402119
Address:            p=0x3003;v=0x0d46;s=0x000001e1ab065cad;l=0x14100000
Current State:      Held
Now I can start start my Guest VM and the USB device works without replugging. It's magic. Note: I don't need extra software on the guest machine.
Last edited by socratis on 1. Feb 2018, 10:21, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Enclosed the information in [code] tag for better readability
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Make USB permanently available for guest

Post by socratis »

Besides the Eltima software that you mentioned (and just for completion), there is also the VirtualHere software, the hardware Silex DS-600 USB 3.0 Device Server, and I'm pretty sure I didn't include every solution out there, just because it was a 1' search...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Ragnar666

Post by Ragnar666 »

Yes, these are all USB-sharing solutions, which use a client/server concept.

But I don't use any client software to access the shared USB device via network.

Simple starting the server software makes the USB device direct available in a Virtual Box VM. There's no more message "failed to attach the USB devices".

The device is now "ejectable" and can be capture on the fly - instead of being "un-ejectable" which requires unplugging.

That's amazing. I think you should add this to "USB basics and troubleshooting" guide.
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

See also Chapter 9.34. Accessing USB devices exposed over the network with USB/IP in the VirtualBox Manual - Advanced Topics.