[Solved] Mac OsX don't resume with VM started

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
rmarto

[Solved] Mac OsX don't resume with VM started

Post by rmarto »

Hi everyone,
I installed Virtualbox 5.2.6 on Macbook Pro 2017 with Osx High Sierra and Win7 as Virtual Machine.
The virtual machine works perfectly.
The problem is that the Mac is not reactivated from the standby state with the virtual machine started.
Disabling the password request when the host restarts everything works.
Did it happen to someone else or is it a compatibility issue with High Sierra?

Thanks
Last edited by rmarto on 5. Feb 2018, 13:13, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Mac OsX don't resume with VM started

Post by socratis »

I'm not quite sure what you mean... Could you try describing the problem again? With a different set of words? Does your host sleep and doesn't wake up? Does the guest sleep and doesn't wake up? Do both sleep? None? And what password do you refer to?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
rmarto

Post by rmarto »

Hi,
situation: the guest is open and the host goes in sleep mode.
If I try to wake-up the host it requests to insert the login password to resume, but the system will block.
If I disable the login password for wake-up from sleep mode the system work fine
Thanks
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I think I understand now:
  • You have the screen saver with password protection in your host.
  • You have the screen saver with password protection in your guest.
  • Host and guest go to sleep.
  • When you try to wake up the computer, the guest has the keyboard control, but the host has the "Enter your password" as well.
Go to your guest settings and disable all password screen savers, even better disable screen savers and all sleeping. Disable power management or give the best performance option.
  1. Log in as an administrator in the guest. Not required, but it will make your life a lot easier.
  2. Go to "Settings", "System", "Power & Sleep", "Additional Power Settings" (you can also get here by the traditional "Control Panel").
  3. If you don't see the "High Performance" option, click on the "Show additional plans". Choose the "High Performance" option. Choose "Change plan settings".
  4. Change the Display settings for powering off the display to "Never". "Save changes". Close the dialog.
  5. Right-click on the desktop, "Personalize", "Lock Screen", "Screen saver settings", change the screen-saver to "None".
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
rmarto

Post by rmarto »

Hi,
unfortunatelly you suggestions didn't work.
The Guest already hadn't the request of the login password at the startup and no screen saver was set on the machine.
Anyway I think that I have solved the problem by disabling on the Virtual machine the Auto Capture Keyboard and removing the "Auto Computer Stop when the screen is off" in the setting of the Energy saving on the Host.
Now I'm trying this configuration and It seems work well.
In the next two days I will know if this solution work definitively and if this setting could be usefull to somebody else.

Anyway thanks for your suggestion
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

rmarto wrote:removing the "Auto Computer Stop when the screen is off" in the setting of the Energy saving on the Host.
I'm not sure if it's translated properly, but do you mean the "Prevent computer from sleeping automatically when the display is off" in the System Settings » Energy Saver » Power Adapter dialog?
rmarto

Post by rmarto »

Yes, the right translation is:
"Prevent computer from sleeping automatically when the display is off" in the System Settings » Energy Saver » Power Adapter dialog

Thanks
rmarto

Post by rmarto »

Hi,
I confirm that it works well with this configuration

Thanks
socratis
Site Moderator

Re: [Solved] Mac OsX don't resume with VM started

Post by socratis »

rmarto wrote:I confirm that it works well with this configuration
rmarto wrote:by disabling on the Virtual machine the Auto Capture Keyboard
I think that you can enable the Auto Capture keyboard again, it might have nothing to do with it. Or it might if you have the guest running full screen. I always disable ScreenSavers/PowerSaving on all of my guests and I don't have anything running FullScreen, so it may be different. Give it a try...
Thanks for the feedback. And thank you for marking it as [Solved]... ;)