[Solved] Networked Epson WF-7520 not detected in Windows 10 Pro Guest

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
fgomes

[Solved] Networked Epson WF-7520 not detected in Windows 10 Pro Guest

Post by fgomes »

I have Epson WF-7520 attached to a router by a cable.
On Sierra, I have the Epson utility and drivers installed, and have been printing.
Turned on Printer sharing.
I have Windows 10 Pro 64 bit VM under VirtualBox 5.2.6.
I downloaded the combo package from Epson and tried installing.
In the select printer step of installation, it lists the printer along with the MAC address, but it does not show the IP address.
In the next page I tried the recommended (detect using dhcp) and also manually set the ip address. It fails after 5 minutes.
I have enabled two network cards (one NAT, and the other host-only as suggested in some of the search result on this topic).
The guest receives ip address from a different subnets from the printer's.
I tried setting the route, and even created static arp entry to no avail.
I even installed bonjour, but it did not have the Epson driver for the printer, and I don't have my disk either (the printer is several years old).
I even suspended the firewall but nothing seems to work.
Can anyone help me connect WF-7520 to Windows 10 Pro VM?

Thanks
Last edited by socratis on 25. Jan 2018, 22:27, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Networked Epson WF-7520 not detected in Windows 10 Pro Guest

Post by mpack »

Is the printer on a network which Windows can see and understand? I assume not, since you say that Bonjour (installed in the Windows guest) had no solution for this printer.

I'm not a Mac user, so is there an option to install samba sharing on OS X?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

fgomes wrote:I have Epson WF-7520 attached to a router by a cable.
fgomes wrote:I have enabled two network cards (one NAT, and the other host-only as suggested in some of the search result on this topic).
Your printer is part of your physical network (LAN). If you want your VM to be part of your LAN as well, you should not select a NAT or a HostOnly network mode, but the Bridged mode. Then everything should work, as if the guest was in your LAN, even Bonjour will see the printer.

If you do not want to use Bridged mode (for some reason), you could use Samba printer sharing, but it's way more convoluted and I don't want to go into details if I don't have to.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
fgomes

Post by fgomes »

socratis wrote: Your printer is part of your physical network (LAN). If you want your VM to be part of your LAN as well, you should not select a NAT or a HostOnly network mode, but the Bridged mode.
Changing the second adapter to Bridged worked! Now it showed the IP address and went past. It is in the final step. Thanks.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Glad you got it going. Marking as [Solved].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.