No sound on Windows 7 guest while it's playing sound well inside

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
pighair

No sound on Windows 7 guest while it's playing sound well inside

Post by pighair »

I'm running Windows 7 on VitualBox 5.2.6 for OSX. OSX version is 10.13.2.

I used it for months without any problem but from a week ago, I couldn't hear any sound from Windows guest.
I searched google and found some similar case in this forum, which were solved by reinstalling sound driver, however my case wasn't solved by it.

I can see levels are moving in Volume Control like following screenshot if I play any sound. Only I cannot hear anything.
2018-01-24_23-08-13.png
2018-01-24_23-08-13.png (30.99 KiB) Viewed 6870 times
Of course I can hear every sound played on host, like iTunes, YouTube, etc.

What could be the problem? How can I fix it?
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Any and all

Re: No sound on Windows 7 guest while it's playing sound well inside

Post by michaln »

Obvious question, do you have audio output enabled for the VM? Please provide VBox.log from your VM, that should tell us (vastly more useful than a screenshot).

Do you other VMs have the same problem? Or do you only have one VM?
pighair

Post by pighair »

Of course it is enabled, and I have only one VM.
Attached log is saved while VM is running.
Attachments
Win7-2018-01-25-02-25-08.log.zip
(21.3 KiB) Downloaded 38 times
Last edited by socratis on 25. Jan 2018, 02:12, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

pighair wrote:I used it for months without any problem but from a week ago
Then go back a week ago in your memory and start thinking what you changed. I don't/can't possibly know what you've done, only you know...
00:00:02.714493 Audio: Initializing Core Audio driver
00:00:02.895922 Audio: Found 9 devices
Do you want to start removing potential sources of error/conflict/issues? Nine sources? I have two; 'Built-in Microphone' and 'Built-in Output'. Just so that you know what you're going to be looking for, you have:
  1. Built-in Line Input
  2. Built-in Digital Input
  3. AMON (Bit Accurate)
  4. AMON (Core Audio)
  5. iShowU Audio Capture
  6. Built-in Output
  7. Built-in Line Output
  8. Built-in Digital Output
  9. 다중 출력 기기
I honestly don't have a clue what #9 is... On top of that, I see a "Steam Client Bootstrapper" in your guest. The rest are all Greek to me... ;)

Your VirtualBox log/setup look fine. Look for changes/differences in your host (the actual hardware) output, and the configuration in your guest. And no, I don't have an experience with your output devices, nor the Steam client...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
pighair

Post by pighair »

socratis wrote:Do you want to start removing potential sources of error/conflict/issues? Nine sources? I have two; 'Built-in Microphone' and 'Built-in Output'. Just so that you know what you're going to be looking for, you have:
Built-in Line Input
Built-in Digital Input
AMON (Bit Accurate)
AMON (Core Audio)
iShowU Audio Capture
Built-in Output
Built-in Line Output
Built-in Digital Output
다중 출력 기기
I honestly don't have a clue what #9 is... On top of that, I see a "Steam Client Bootstrapper" in your guest. The rest are all Greek to me
AMON is name of USB Audio Interface which I'm actually using. System's default audio device is set to "AMON (Core Audio)". I also tried to use Built-in Output which uses internal speaker as system default but same.
Other items are not related with VirtualBox because I only use them when I broadcast my OSX screen. Explanation below is for your information.
iShowU is a software audio device which enables broadcasting OSX audio output as an audio input source. Without this, broadcasting software (I use OBS) cannot broadcast any audio.
Last one is Korean translation of "Multi-Output Device" which is created with OSX's "Audio MIDI Setup" app to send audio output to iShowU and my AirPods. If I use iShowU itself as audio output, I cannot hear any sound while listeners can hear.

And I don't remember any change except OSX update and VirtualBox update. With those 9 devices, it worked well. I installed new VBox Guest Additions after updating VBox with experimental DirectX support, but the symptom started to occur before the update.
The reason I upload a screenshot at first post is it seems working well inside the VM. If I play some sound, the Volume Control's level meter shows that it is playing well in Windows. But I cannot hear anything.
Reinstalling sound device in guest, rebooting host, changing host's default sound device, turning "Audio Output" and "Audio Input" of guest off and turning on again didn't solve my issue.

I played Cuphead very well even some graphic elements are broken with experimental DirectX support but I'm so sad I should play the game without any sound... Especially because BGM is really nice. (I recommend to listen some of them from Youtube if you like old-fashioned jazz music.)
If VBox forum can't help my situation where can I get any help? :cry:
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

- I have an audio problem.
- Try to remove some of the non-default audio options, see what might interfere.
- If VBox forum can't help my situation where can I get any help?
- Try to buy an Oracle support contract. Prices start at (50+11)*100 U.S. dollars.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
pighair

Post by pighair »

I see. Thanks for your time and effort!
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Any and all

Post by michaln »

Since you updated both the OS and VirtualBox, it's hard to say what triggered it. You could try VirtualBox 5.2.4 or VirtualBox 5.1.x and see if that changes the audio situation. If it does, please report here.
djcarlso

Post by djcarlso »

I had the same problem. No audio when running Windows 7 in VirtualBox 5.2.6 on OSX version is 10.13.3. I rolled back to VirtualBox 5.1.32 and audio is functioning again. Also tested builds 5.2.0 and 5.2.2 and audio did not work.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Try the latest test builds, they contain a lot of audio fixes.
djcarlso

Post by djcarlso »

Thanks! Unfortunately the latest test build (5.2.7) did not resolve my problem. Back to 5.1.32 for me. Cheers!
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

You didn't quite describe your problem, so don't expect that we could know what's working or not, and most importantly why or why not...
metropical
Guest OSses: W7, FWUL[linux]

Post by metropical »

djcarlso wrote:Thanks! Unfortunately the latest test build (5.2.7) did not resolve my problem. Back to 5.1.32 for me. Cheers!
This worked for me as well. With OSX 10.12.6 and UA Apollo v9.x