[Solved] GA 5.2.7 do not solve all problems for Linux guests

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
AALLeeXX
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux Ubuntu

[Solved] GA 5.2.7 do not solve all problems for Linux guests

Post by AALLeeXX »

After I install those GA, I could run Linux and enable 3D acceleration, but I have new troubles, which I, for some of them, already experienced.

Reoccurrence : When in windowed mode, I cannot move the guest windows: if I do so, only the window frame comes but not its contents. The mouse however is operating in the frame, thus mismatches the contents. To recover this, minimize, then back to normal. This problem was fixed in previous version but its now back :/

New problem 1: when I try entering in full screen (command+F), the VB window containing he guest moves to my second monitor ! Here I just expect it expand on the current monitor...

New problem 2: after above action, the window is full screen (on the wrong monitor) but the guest usable area is not. It seems the guest keeps to its defined resolution and does not consider the Auto resize guest display. Strangely, if I leave full screen mode, here the resizing works well - I can see in Ubuntu the adjusted resolution in pixels. Seems the full screen does not works the same here...

Any hint here ? Something wrong on my side ?
Thanks !
Last edited by socratis on 21. Jan 2018, 18:24, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
Dsen
Oracle Corporation

Re: GA 5.2.7 do not solve all problems for Linux guests

Post by Dsen »

Hello,
Thing is, if you at least once manually mapped VM screen to particular host-screen through View menu, it is being saved and opened on the same host-screen in the future.
Please check whether your VM settings file (.vbox) contains GUI/VirtualScreenToHostScreen* extra-data flag (where * is the number of VM screen being mapped).
Also, you haven't mentioned which exactly host OS you have, but if that is some recent macOS, I need to know whether you have "Displays have separate Spaces" option enabled (Mission Control options).
Which host screen resolution you have for each of your displays?
Also, would be nice to see corresponding VBox.log
Thanks in advance.
AALLeeXX

Post by AALLeeXX »

Hello,
Thanks for the reply.
You were correct about my vbox file, it contained the line
<ExtraDataItem name="GUI/VirtualScreenToHostScreen0" value="1"/>
I just removed it and restarted VB... then ... it fixed it all ! I could position the full screen freely and it expands where the window is, as expected.

For further information...
About MacOs, I run the latest, including betas, currently : macOS 10.13.3 (17D39a), and yes, displays have their separate spaces.
Monitors setup is : native 5K used at 3200x1800 and secondary 4K used in full resolution.

Thanks a lot for your help, you made my day :)

Alexandre
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Marking as [Solved].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
genzoo

Re: [Solved] GA 5.2.7 do not solve all problems for Linux guests

Post by genzoo »

Not sure if I should open a new thread or not since this one is marked as solved, but I am having the exact same behavior when moving the window. The window frame moves, but the content stays at the old location. Minimizing and reopening the window is my current workaround as well. I do not have the GUI/VirtualScreenToHostScreen flag set in my .vbox, and my Mission Control settings are enabled for "Displays have separate Spaces". Fortunately, I do not have the 2 new problems that AALLeeXX mentioned above; I am able to enter and exit full screen as expected.

I am using the latest GA (VBoxGuestAdditions_5.2.7-120528.iso) on VirtualBox 5.2.6 with Ubuntu 17.10. I have attached my Vbox.log.

Thanks for taking a look, and let me know if I can provide any additional information.
Attachments
VBox.log
(81.88 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: [Solved] GA 5.2.7 do not solve all problems for Linux guests

Post by socratis »

No, you shouldn't open a new thread. Not because this one is solved, not because the resolution is not the same, but because what you're seeing is a known issue with 4 known workarounds: https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/17168#comment:5
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.