Install Win7 from USB

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Packie

Re: Install Win7 from USB

Post by Packie »

I now have Win7.iso in my download folder and when I select open I still get the Fatal: Could not read.... error.
In choose disk image Win7.iso is already selected.
Am I missing a step here!
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

In the virtual machine configuration (System -> Motherboard) have you got the cd-rom (Optical) enabled as a boot device? You can also try pressing F12 when the vm BIOS splash screen is shown and select 'c' from the resultant menu.

If that doesn't work we could probably do with checking your vm configuration (its .vbox file).

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

To add a little bit to what andy73 said, make sure that your downloaded ISO is not corrupted. See if they offer an SHA256 or MD5 checksum in the page that you downloaded the ISO from, so you can compare it with the one that you have.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Packie

Post by Packie »

I have win7 trying to install and boy has it killed my machine. Resources are drained completely. After an hour or more I have only now been able to pause the installation as nothing would work. I only have the first screen of Windows 7 showing and there is little point point going any further with the installation. Any ideas what is causing my computer dying.
Packie

Post by Packie »

Even with the insulation paused the computer is responding very poorly.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

What's your Mac model? Exactly please... And I need the amount of RAM isntalled.
Delete your VM, including all the files. This will not delete the Windows ISO. Then create a new VM, stick with the defaults and choose the ISO to boot from.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Packie

Post by Packie »

VM deleted... running normal now.

iMas Retina 4K 2017 model
Processor 3 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory 8GB 2499 MHz DDR4
Graphics Radeon Pro 555 2 GB

Will now begin to reinstall VM
Packie

Post by Packie »

Reinstalled VM but says no bootable medium found even though Win 7 .iso is selected. Reinstalled again and same message. Virtual-box is proving to be problematic, on my machine anyway.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Packie wrote:Reinstalled VM but says no bootable medium found even though Win 7 .iso is selected.
I can give you as many ISOs as you want. That doesn't make them bootable. If you have a corrupted ISO, it won't boot, period. I told you to compare the checksum of the ISO you downloaded with the one published at the source. Otherwise you have no guarantees that your download is not corrupt.
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

I'm confused now (must be time for more coffee) as a few posts back there is...
Packie wrote:I have win7 trying to install and boy has it killed my machine. Resources are drained completely. After an hour or more I have only now been able to pause the installation as nothing would work. I only have the first screen of Windows 7 showing and there is little point point going any further with the installation.
That implies that the ISO image was bootable on the previous VM configuration and therefore (unless the .iso file has changed) should still be bootable.

I think we need some more clarity on what has and hasn't worked.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.