Windows Virtualbox guest additions 5.2.6 crashes Windows on Bootcamp partition

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Kirstone

Windows Virtualbox guest additions 5.2.6 crashes Windows on Bootcamp partition

Post by Kirstone »

I'll try to explain shortly, cause it took me half a day to fix my Windows on Bootcamp and do some tests. If you need more info, please response.

I have mini mac. It has Bootcamp Windows partition. I use this partition switch between Mac OS High Sierra and Windows 10 Pro. Also I use Bootcamp partition as VirtualBox Windows Guest image.

So I updated Virtual box to version 5.2.6 on Mac. Then booted windows through VirtualBox and updated guest additions to version 5.2.6. Everything works fine at this point.

Now if I try to switch from Mac OS to Windows BOOTCAMP partition, it crashes while loading windows. (Windows still works if I boot them on VirtualBox).
Screen: https://s6.postimg.org/7w411r97x/IMG_9388.jpg

I tried Windows Repair tool, but it didn't helped.

Then I started Windows using Safe Mode and deleted guest additions (version 5.2.6). It helped to start Windows again.

I did some tests. Started Mac OS, stared Windows bootcamp through VirtualBox, downloaded VBoxGuestAdditions_5.1.32.iso and installed it. This version of GuestAdditions didn't crash windows.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Windows Virtualbox guest additions 5.2.6 crashes Windows on Bootcamp partition

Post by socratis »

I've seen that happening when Windows updates are installed while you're in guest mode. But it did get fixed (after a lot of pain) in the Windows repair mode. Not sure what's going on here. I'll try to test my external Win10 installation and see if it crashes later today. It's not exactly Bootcamp, but it's very close.

Your image cannot be read, 180x135 is a rather small image, not even for a stamp. Could you describe in words what's the error that you're seeing in Windows? Sometimes a word is worth 1000 pictures...

PS. I have disabled Windows updates, just for that reason alone.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
cabal95

Re: Windows Virtualbox guest additions 5.2.6 crashes Windows on Bootcamp partition

Post by cabal95 »

I can confirm having the same (99% sure, slightly different circumstances, but close enough) issue and the same resolution.

I have a Windows 10 To Go installation on a Corsair GTX USB drive (WindowsToGo certified). Works great. I can boot to it on my Macbook Pro by holding down the option key. Works great. Since my original use case was to be able to use Windows in Bootcamp on my laptop two days a week, and then on my desktop inside a Virtualbox VM the rest of the week I moved on to getting it to boot in VirtualBox. Surprisingly this worked without a hitch. VirtualBox uses a CD image of Super Grub2 to "pre-boot" and then it chains to the USB drive attached inside the VM. So far so good. I even went back and forth a few times to be sure everything still worked in both places.

Then I installed the VirtualBox 5.2.6 Guest Additions. In VirtualBox everything worked as expected. When I moved the USB drive back to my Mac, I got the same error that Kirstone reported. I went back to my VirtualBox, removed the guest additions and it booted fine in Bootcamp. I did this twice just to be sure I didn't do anything odd and the results were the same each time. With the 5.2.6 guest additions installed, the Bootcamp mode fails to boot.

Following Kirstone's findings, I installed the 5.1.32 guest additions - which work fine in VirtualBox as well - and tested on my MBP. It booted up just fine. Once again, I have moved the thumb drive back and forth a few times and with the 5.1.32 guest additions, it boots fine in both environments.
mzf

Post by mzf »

Same issue here. VirtualBox 5.2.8. Boot Camp partitions won't boot unless I first uninstall Guest Additions. Is there a way to prevent loading Guest Additions when booting natively?