Incorrect mouse coordinates

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Maarten M

Incorrect mouse coordinates

Post by Maarten M »

Hello,
I just upgraded to 5.1.30 r118389 (Qt5.6.3) on a MacBook pro 2015 with OSX High Sierra 10.13.1
Besides the fact that this version is way more unstable then the old version it is replacing I experience an incorrect mouse position in full-screen mode.
The actual mouse position is just below the pointer.

Thanks for your advice on this otherwise excellent tool.

Maarten
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Incorrect mouse coordinates

Post by socratis »

Maarten M wrote:I just upgraded to 5.1.30 r118389 ... with OSX High Sierra 10.13.1
You should upgrade to the latest 5.2.2. If you want the latest and greatest for your hosts/guests, you should do the same for VirtualBox, since they're really connected at a low level.
Maarten M wrote:Besides the fact that this version is way more unstable then the old version
That may have to do with the fact that you're not running the latest version, but at this point this is as general a comment as one could get. No details at all...
Maarten M wrote:I experience an incorrect mouse position in full-screen mode.
You didn't tell us what's your guest. I have a big imagination and 50+ VMs. Do you want me to start guessing which one is giving you trouble? ;)

Here's what you have to do, in order for us to see some more info:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe error / Shutdown the VM.
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Maarten M

Post by Maarten M »

Hello,

Thank you for the reply.
So yes I forgot to mention that the guest system is WIndows 10.
I installed 5.22 with guest addition iso 5.2 (could not find the 5.2.2 version http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/).
The problem is less apparent but it is still there. As I run a CAD program (SW 2014) it remains somewhat annoying.
Please find enclosed the log file you have been asking for.
Regards,

Maarten,
Attachments
Windows 10-2017-12-17-12-46-40.log.zip
(32.12 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

We have almost the same computer, so that makes the comparison really easier:
00:00:03.742329 [/Devices/hpet/0/Config/] (level 4)
00:00:03.742330   ICH9 <integer> = 0x0000000000000001 (1)
Any particular reason why you chose to go with an unsupported, experimental, not-recommended chipset, while defying the defaults? No kidding you complain about instabilities... ;)
VirtualBox VM 5.2.2 r119230 darwin.amd64 (Nov 22 2017 17:32:08) release log
00:00:12.097722 VMMDev: Guest Additions information report: Version 5.2.0 r118201 '5.2.0_RC1'
I believe it's time that you update the GAs in your guest...

Finally, I see that you start the VM at full screen. Have you tried to bring it back to normal and then full screen again?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.