NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005) with VirtualBox 5.2.2

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
bluKnight32

NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005) with VirtualBox 5.2.2

Post by bluKnight32 »

I'm having this issue while my virtual box vm was working on 5.1.19, all versions including 5.2.2 as of this post give me this error on my Macbook pro 10.13.2. I dont know whats causing this error as its very generic, and I already tried uninstalling / reinstalling VirtualBox. But like I said only version 5.1.19 works for me. Also I will mention that no matter what kind of VM I create, when I try to start it, it halts starting the vm with this error.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005) with VirtualBox 5.2.2

Post by socratis »

@bluKnight32
I split your post from an existing thread with a similar name. Just because you have the same error code, doesn't mean that the source of the error is the same. More specifically, this is a generic "Something is wrong" error code and can be due to... I don't know yet.

So, please start by describing completely your host, guest and VirtualBox. Use the complete version numbers (including the build numbers) to identify your software:
  • "OSX" isn't enough, "OSX 10.9.5 build 13f1911" is much better.
  • "Win10" isn't enough, "Win10 1607, build 14393.969" is much better.
  • "Ubuntu" isn't enough, "Ubuntu 16.04, 4.4.0-59-generic #80-Ubuntu SMP" is much better.
  • "The latest VirtualBox" isn't enough, "VirtualBox 5.1.22 r115126" is much better.
If you start or try to start a VM and it fails, please look:
  1. if there is a VBox.log getting created (Machine » Show Log, save it, ZIP it, attach it), and
  2. save and ZIP the VBoxSVC.log located in "/Users/<your_username>/Library/VirtualBox/VBoxSVC.log"
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
bluKnight32

Post by bluKnight32 »

I have done so in the last post
this error on my Macbook pro 10.13.2
ergo macOS 10.13.2, if I look under "About this Mac" there is no build number next to the macOS version number. And to reiterate the version of virtual box is 5.2.4 (I just tried this, again no build# if you go to the virtual box downloads page, it just gives you a link to download the version and doesn't specify the build, but the downloaded file is VirtualBox-5.2.4-119785-OSX so maybe 119785 is the build # but I'm not sure because the download page doesn't specify). I'm not sure if you just didn't read my post before splitting it, but if you go over it again, I specifically mention all the software versions I'm using.

This is the exact error message:

Code: Select all

Result Code: 
NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component: 
MachineWrap
Interface: 
IMachine {85cd948e-a71f-4289-281e-0ca7ad48cd89}
Thanks for the reply and any help on this would be much appreciated. I have another MacBook, (MBP 17inch Fall 2011) that is running the same OS (macOS 10.13.2) but I can create VM's without any issue, regardless of the version of Virtual Box I use, so this is quite a perplexing issue.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

bluKnight32 wrote:if I look under "About this Mac" there is no build number next to the macOS version number.
Ever tried clicking on it? ;) Also, try the command "sw_vers" from the Terminal. These days the "generic" versions aren't enough any more, unfortunately. A patch here, a software update there, a security hole plugged in between, and nobody is running the same version anymore...
bluKnight32 wrote:And to reiterate the version of virtual box is 5.2.4
It wasn't originally, it was 5.1.9 and 5.1.2. To the right of the Apple logo (), there's a "VirtualBox" menu. Check the "About VirtualBox..." for the complete software version. Not now, generally speaking...

I also asked for two files (potentially):
[color=#00A000]socratis[/color] wrote:If you start or try to start a VM and it fails, please look:
  1. if there is a VBox.log getting created (Machine » Show Log, save it, ZIP it, attach it), and
  2. save and ZIP the VBoxSVC.log located in "/Users/<your_username>/Library/VirtualBox/VBoxSVC.log"
And finally, since you have two Macs, please try to find out what's so different about them. Mostly the software installed. Please post the output of the following command (from the Terminal), for both of your Macs; the working and the non-working:
  • kextstat | grep -v com.apple
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.