Tried to import the Cisco Umbrella VA OVA

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
MacHelpNashville

Tried to import the Cisco Umbrella VA OVA

Post by MacHelpNashville »

So I would like to use a few extra MAC OS machines to be my Virtual Appliance DNS machines for my Cisco Umbrella Cloud.
I am having trouble importing the ova files I downloaded, now I know they were meant for VMware but they cant be used in VirtualBox?
is this a compatibility thing or a normal import error that i can work around?

Please Advise.
Thank You!
---
Failed to import appliance /Users/careyjames/Downloads/OpenDNS-VirtualMachine-20171025.ova.

Medium '/Users/careyjames/VirtualBox VMs/Umbrella Virtual Appliance/forwarder-va.vmdk' is already attached to port 0, device 0 of controller 'SCSI' of this virtual machine.

Result Code: VBOX_E_OBJECT_IN_USE (0x80BB000C)
Component: ApplianceWrap
Interface: IAppliance {8398f026-4add-4474-5bc3-2f9f2140b23e}

Medium '/Users/careyjames/VirtualBox VMs/Umbrella Virtual Appliance/forwarder-va.vmdk' is already attached to port 0, device 0 of controller 'SCSI' of this virtual machine.

Result Code:
VBOX_E_OBJECT_IN_USE (0x80BB000C)
Component:
ApplianceWrap
Interface:
IAppliance {8398f026-4add-4474-5bc3-2f9f2140b23e}
erdeslawe
Volunteer

Re: Tried to import the Cisco Umbrella VA OVA

Post by erdeslawe »

According to the installation information on the Cisco Umbrella site: "Umbrella Virtual Appliances, or “VAs”, are very lightweight virtual machines, which are compatible with VMWare ESX/ESXi and Windows Hyper-V hypervisors." which suggests that they aren't compatible with any other Virtualisation software, but you need to ask them for clarification.
MacHelpNashville

yes, they (cisco) said:

bparnell (Umbrella)
Dec 8, 12:40 PST

Hello again,

I reached out and talked with a few of my coworkers on the development side of Umbrella. Apparently we don't have VirtualBox as a supported way of running VMs because it couldn't be made to work no matter what they tried. As such I was told a feature request wouldn't be of use in this case. I apologize for the inconvenience regarding this issue.
MacHelpNashville

its just software really???

a dns server cant run on VirtualBox?

I dont buy it....
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

MacHelpNashville wrote:we don't have VirtualBox as a supported way of running VMs because it couldn't be made to work no matter what they tried.
MacHelpNashville wrote:a dns server cant run on VirtualBox?
Sure it can. Just not *this* specific Virtual Machine. You're more than welcome to create a VM from scratch. It will run, but it will be a major pain to set up the guest OS and its applications... just right. How much time they spent on it? I don't know. But I suspect it's not the time that they spent on it, it's the support that they have to have.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.