10.13 Failing installation; Kernel driver not loaded

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: 10.13 Failing installation; Kernel driver not loaded

Post by socratis »

@louhop
Please uninstall and re-install VirtualBox. See if that improves the situation.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
MacWeb

Post by MacWeb »

This is a solution:

Step #1. Click the  menu on your Mac and then select Restart.
Step #2. Next up, you have to hold down command+R to boot into the Recovery System.
Step #3. Now, you need to click on the Utilities menu and choose Terminal.
Step #4. Up next, you will have to type csrutil disable and press return.
Step #5. Close the Terminal app.
Step #6. Finally, you need to click the  menu and choose Restart.

Just turn that system protection off in System Recovery boot under terminal and restart OS X. You need to install Virtual Box again so it add .kext to system. This is same situation as I have with my USB modems...
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Thanks @MacWeb,
I can remember this being proposed as a temporary workaround somewhere else, but I can't seem to be able to find it at the moment. Which means it's a "good thing"™ that you posted it here... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
proslasher

Post by proslasher »

For anyone who's having issues clicking the "allow" button, you need to do the following.

Hit Command-Shift-4 and move the mouse cursor to the center of the allow button. Note the coordinates listed to the right of the cursor. Leave this window open and do not move it.

Hit command-space and open "script editor"

Create a new script, paste this in it...

Code: Select all

tell application "System Events" to click at {xxx, yyy}
Replace the xxx and yyy with the coordinates from above.

Click Play on the script editor.

This should fix it. You may need to reinstall the virtualbox package one more time to get the changes to stick - but this fixed it for me!
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Wow... Talk about going from Paris to London, via Tokyo! :D
That's an interesting solution there "proslasher", nothing else worked for you? And how does the script work when your actual mouse can't, it doesn't quite compute. Are you perhaps remotely logged in?
KBuchs

Post by KBuchs »

I saw a quick note in one of the messages here or in another thread and it was the critical piece I was missing.

When I had the Security & Privacy dialog open, the Apply button visible and clicking on the button and there was no apparent action. The prompt still remained. I needed to WAIT longer before trying the Apply. I found I waited 20 minutes until the button actually worked (the prompt went away).
dsp_sd

Post by dsp_sd »

For some reason, the 'Apply' button does not work as documented by Apple.
The suggestion posted [here][/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=84778&start=15#p412500] worked for me:

Boot into Recovery mode, open a terminal and run:

Code: Select all

spctl kext-consent add VB5E2TV963
It's essentially a hack around pressing the damn button.
And sadly, `man spctl` does not even document this as an option. sheesh!
AFAIK, this forum is the only place to find a solution if pressing 'Apply' does not work for you.
bobby123

Post by bobby123 »

Oh my lord! I had such a waste of time that decided to register with Oracle and fart around trying to re find this very helpful thread, thank you to all contributors.

This addition is for all the 'home users' like me VNCing into their macs who may get this far and find the apple script " tell command not found" message.

The apple script button click did work but it needed to be called from its correct location:

/usr/bin/osascript -e 'tell application "System Events" to click at {xxx, yyy}'
wazza

Post by wazza »

I had this problem when upgrading to VirtualBox-6.1.30-148432-OSX.

I now have a basic question relating to this response:

[quote="socratis"]@louhop
Please uninstall and re-install VirtualBox. See if that improves the situation.[/quote]

Does uninstall and re-install erase the Windows 10 user data files I had before the attempted upgrade? If it does, is there another way to recover these files?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

wazza wrote: Does uninstall and re-install erase the Windows 10 user data files I had before the attempted upgrade?
No, it does not.

Updating software does not, as a rule, cause your data to be lost. It would hardly be good business.