10.13 Failing installation; Kernel driver not loaded

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
aptuningtom

10.13 Failing installation; Kernel driver not loaded

Post by aptuningtom »

Not to beat a dead horse but I am getting the same issue after updating VB to 5.2.0, Im on High sierra Beta 10.13.2.

I have read through everything like 50 times and dont think I missed anything. However my issue is under "Security & Privacy" I never got an option anywhere to allow/authorize anything like others seem to get.

Am I missing something? Should I be looking else? Or maybe there is some other security measure preventing me from even getting the option to allow Oracle/VB from installing its drivers?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Any and all

Re: Virtualbox fails to run.. kernel driver not loaded

Post by michaln »

Always check 'dmesg' output right after such failure. There are many possible reasons why the VirtualBox kernel driver might not load, some entirely outside of our control.
aptuningtom

Post by aptuningtom »

Im sorry but what is that and how do I check it? That term is definitely beyond my skill/info level
aptuningtom

Post by aptuningtom »

To clarify I get the same error many others have mentioned and only after updating to High Sierra
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-11-13 at 8.51.04 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-11-13 at 8.51.04 AM.png (49.29 KiB) Viewed 29118 times
aptuningtom

Post by aptuningtom »

UPDATE: so I have been searching for the last 2 days and the only solutions it seemed were moving files on a coding level which I just dont even comprehend.

I just came across something on an Apple forum, the first couple things ended up in the some place where it says to open "security and privacy" and approve the developer. However I never got a prompt during install or an option in there to approve.

So I kept on looking and found this. Some command ran from terminal "sudo spctl --master-disable" which gave an "anywhere" option for installing "apps downloaded from". I did that and no luck with re-trying the VB install. Then found someone from apple mentioning resetting NV ram (option/command/R/P at startup) as that is supposed to re-enable the notification to allow the kernel/driver install.

Did that and upon startup still had the option for the "anywhere" under "security and privacy". Ran the VB install, completed properly this time, and then the "anywhere" option when away. Quite an odd chain of events but it now works. :?:

My only concern is it mentions whatever I disable with that command line isnt advised, but Im curious if there is a way to undo it or did it undo itself based on the "anywhere" option going away?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-11-13 at 4.03.32 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-11-13 at 4.03.32 PM.png (15.94 KiB) Viewed 29115 times
Screen Shot 2017-11-13 at 4.02.34 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-11-13 at 4.02.34 PM.png (18.75 KiB) Viewed 29115 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

aptuningtom wrote:However I never got a prompt during install or an option in there to approve.
Please, pretty please, complain to Apple to fix their own installers. It's not going to get fixed by VirtualBox or any other developer. This is Apple's own mess. They have to fix it.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
breadncup

Post by breadncup »

I'm not sure if it is an Apple issue or a VirtualBox issue yet. Since High Sierra has updated security part, and it could be the driver does not follow the updated security policy in the OS, but I'm not an expert on it.

Looking at the error message, it cannot load the kernel driver like this:

Code: Select all

Nov 20 21:13:02 MacBook-Pro-2 installd[387]: PackageKit: Install Failed: Error Domain=PKInstallErrorDomain Code=112 "An error occurred while running scripts from the package “VirtualBox.pkg”." UserInfo={NSFilePath=./postflight, NSURL=file://localhost/Volumes/VirtualBox/VirtualBox.pkg#VBoxKEXTs.pkg, PKInstallPackageIdentifier=org.virtualbox.pkg.vboxkexts, NSLocalizedDescription=An error occurred while running scripts from the package “VirtualBox.pkg”.} {
	    NSFilePath = "./postflight";
	    NSLocalizedDescription = "An error occurred while running scripts from the package \U201cVirtualBox.pkg\U201d.";
	    NSURL = "file://localhost/Volumes/VirtualBox/VirtualBox.pkg#VBoxKEXTs.pkg";
	    PKInstallPackageIdentifier = "org.virtualbox.pkg.vboxkexts";
	}

So, looking at the system log ( /var/log/system.log )

Code: Select all

Nov 20 21:13:02 MacBook-Pro-2 logd[68]: kext query: did not find the uuid
Nov 20 21:13:02 MacBook-Pro-2 logd[68]: #DECODE failed to resolved UUID: [pc:0xff7f8928ecbc ns:0x04 type:0x00 flags:0x0008 main:DC569CF1-BCDB-3AE4-830A-BE9D14B4317C pid:0]
Nov 20 21:13:02 MacBook-Pro-2 logd[68]: #DECODE failed to resolved UUID: [pc:0xff7f8928ece1 ns:0x04 type:0x00 flags:0x0008 main:DC569CF1-BCDB-3AE4-830A-BE9D14B4317C pid:0]
Looks like the kext cannot find the uuid and not sure what it means. Does anyone identify what it is?
michaln
Oracle Corporation

Post by michaln »

breadncup wrote:I'm not sure if it is an Apple issue or a VirtualBox issue yet. Since High Sierra has updated security part, and it could be the driver does not follow the updated security policy in the OS, but I'm not an expert on it.
There's nothing the kext itself (or the rest of VirtualBox) can do about it. If system policy prevents kexts loading then system policy prevents kext loading, and the kext or application by design does not have any control over that. It is the user's responsibility to approve kexts, and it is the OS's job to allow that.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

michaln wrote:Always check 'dmesg' output right after such failure. There are many possible reasons why the VirtualBox kernel driver might not load, some entirely outside of our control.
One potential such reason that I found in a comment on ticket #16474 from "michaln" himself (that I just quoted). Just posting so I won't forget it and also because it shows the importance of checking the 'dmesg' output.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
bcassid

Post by bcassid »

I believe my problem is related to this thread. When trying to install VirtualBox 5.2.2 on a Mac Pro running macOS High Sierra 10.13.2, I get this error:
The installation failed.
The Installation encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.

Even though I get the error, VirtualBox is installed and I am able to install a guest, but when I try to launch the VM, I get this:
Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)
Make sure the kernel module has been loaded successfully.
where: suplibOsInit what: 3 VERR_VM_DRIVER_NOT_INSTALLED (-1908) - The support driver is not installed. On linux, open returned ENOENT.

My host and guest info is:
VirtualBox Version: 5.2.2-119230, unable to install Guest Additions
Host: Mac Pro (Mid 2010)
2 x 2.66GHz CPU (6 cores, 64-bit)
32 GB Memory
macOS High Sierra 10.13.2
Installed Guest: Windows Server 2012 R2 (64-bit, 16384 MB)

When I choose Show Log, I get: No log files found, even after pressing the Refresh button and I'm not seeing any in the finder.

Any ideas on getting this working would be greatly appreciated.

Bob Cassidy
IT Director
Somerton School District
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

bcassid wrote:on a Mac Pro running macOS High Sierra 10.13.2
Man... you were fast to upgrade, weren't you? That thing came out minutes before you posted... ;)

You already have posted in 3 different threads, all with the same problem ("Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)", "Virtualbox fails to run on macOS High Sierra - kernel driver not loaded", and this one). I would suggest to re-read all 3 threads from the beginning to make sure that all the potential solutions/suggestions have been followed. Posting in each and every thread will not make your problem go away.

Personally, I have never seen that issue, ever. Neither have the developers. So, we can only guess on what's going on, based on user reports. If they're missing, there's not that much that we can do. To recap the steps that you should be checking, to remedy the situation with 10.13:
  • Have you given permission to Oracle to install the kexts in the System preferences?
  • Have you tried re-installing VirtualBox?
  • Have you rebooted your OSX host?
  • Have you made sure that the kexts are not loaded after a reboot?
Please do not reply with yes or no, there's not much more that I can do about it, those are the only ones that we have collectively come up with. Try them and see if it works.

Finally, since no-one has been able to reproduce this on a clean OSX install, that could be your last resort; re-install OSX from the recovery partition, just to make sure that somehow your installation isn't botched.

And please complain to Apple, they have been messing really bad with 10.13, someone needs to shout/yell at them for being so sloppy. This is Apple's mess, I'm more than 100% sure about that!
bcassid

Post by bcassid »

I'm wondering if this is a problem with specific Mac hardware models. I can successfully install VirtualBox on a MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2016) running High Sierra, but not on multiple Mac Pros including multiple Mac Pro (Mid 2010) models and a Mac Pro (Late 2013) model. However I currently have three Mac Pro (Mid 2010) models running VirtualBox, but on macOS Sierra. I am unable to install High Sierra on them and run VirtualBox.

I've tried everything in all of the threads I posted to and nothing works. I've been able to reproduce this problem every time on at least 5 Mac Pro (Mid 2010) models and 1 Mac Pro (Late 2013) model by following these steps:
  • Boot into Recovery Mode
  • Run Disk Utility and erase the disk
  • Reinstall macOS High Sierra from the Recovery Partition
  • Download and install VirtualBox version 5.2.2-119230
When installing VirtualBox, I get this error and the subsequent kernel extension problems:

The installation failed.
The Installation encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.

If I go to System Preferences > Security & Privacy General tab, I see this at the bottom: System software from developer "Oracle America, Inc." was blocked from loading. and there is an Allow button. When I press that button, nothing happens and trying to reinstall again I get the same result. On the MacBook Pro where was able to install VirtualBox, I got the same message, but after clicking on the Allow button, it goes away and the installation is successful.

I'd be glad to complain to Apple. In fact, because our district is an Apple service center and I'm a certified Apple tech, I have multiple SE's that I frequently give feedback to, but I'd like to give them more specific feedback. Please give me some suggestions for feedback and thanks for your help.

Bob Cassidy
IT Director
Somerton School District
Last edited by socratis on 3. Jan 2018, 21:38, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
socratis
Site Moderator

Re: 10.13 Failing installation; Kernel driver not loaded

Post by socratis »

I split the posts that deal with the 10.13 installation problems, because the old thread (Virtualbox fails to run.. kernel driver not loaded), because 1) it was getting too crowded and it was started in 2012, and 2) I believe that this latest hiccup with the installers has everything and anything to do with 10.13 and it deserved its own thread. I also demoted the old thread from a sticky and I promoted this one to a sticky so that it would be featured more prominently in the forums.

@bcassid
So, you're telling me that this is happening on a clean installation of 10.13, right? Did you have a chance to upgrade your systems to 10.13.2 before trying the VirtualBox installation? Because, at least 10.13.1, fixed several installer programs that were introduced with 10.13 and their new security policy. If you didn't try it, could you please?

@everyone
Could you post your Mac models and see if the theory from 'bcassid' has any merit? Please post the model as it shows in the "System Information" » "Model Identifier", the OSX version that you tried it with, and state if you had a successful installation or not. I'll start with mine:
  • Model Identifier: MacBookPro11,5
    OSX version: 10.13b2, 10.13 (on external USB if that matters)
    Installation: Success
michaln
Oracle Corporation

Post by michaln »

bcassid: Going to Apple is your only real option. Oracle can't do anything about it -- if the OS refuses to load the kexts, they can't be loaded. That is the whole point of the extra security in High Sierra.

The model-specific behavior does not sound crazy. The information about approved kexts is stored in NVRAM. If there's a problem with that, and that could plausibly depend on the firmware etc., there will be trouble. If you feel like doing some triage, google for 'kext approval nvram spctl' and look at a few of the top articles. If you compare what spctl etc. tells you on the working and non-working systems, you should see some differences. You have a reproducible scenario so the problem should be fixable, but Apple is the only one who can fix it.

And obviously make sure you're at least at 10.13.1 first.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

michaln wrote:The information about approved kexts is stored in NVRAM.
I honestly didn't know that part. So, how is this handled in a 10.13 VM then? Is everything allowed? Or everything disallowed? Because not once did I have a problem with a 10.13 stock VM. And how does it "remember" which one is allowed and which one is not?