[Solved] How to use a Metasploitable VM without the X and W keys

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
robertdawson

[Solved] How to use a Metasploitable VM without the X and W keys

Post by robertdawson »

The X and W keys are non-functioning on my physical keyboard. On my main MacOS machine and even on most of my VMs, this is not too much of an annoyance as I still can copy & paste or change the software keyboard mapping.

On my Metasploitable virtual machine however, I see no way out. Unless I missed something, I cannot paste stuff from outside of the VM, and since Ctrl-X is usually the command to quit a text editor, so I cannot launch text editors because I would be unable to quit them, and I cannot change the built-in keyboard.

Any ideas ?
Last edited by robertdawson on 25. Nov 2017, 11:35, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: How to use a Metasploitable VM without the X and W keys

Post by socratis »

robertdawson wrote:Any ideas ?
Get a new keyboard? ;)

No, seriously, virtual machine does not include a virtual keyboard, you have to have a physical one. And a mouse. And a monitor. Unless you RDPing in the VM. But a VM cannot help you with the lack of physical hardware.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
robertdawson

Re: How to use a Metasploitable VM without the X and W keys

Post by robertdawson »

socratis wrote: No, seriously, virtual machine does not include a virtual keyboard, you have to have a physical one. And a mouse. And a monitor. Unless you RDPing in the VM. But a VM cannot help you with the lack of physical hardware.
Luckily for me, you are being a bit over-pessimistic here. I found out that the "Keyboard Viewer" on my Mac allows me to do anything I want (even in a VM) as long as I have a mouse, without using the keyboard at all.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: [Solved] How to use a Metasploitable VM without the X and W keys

Post by socratis »

Sure, but that's not a VirtualBox issue ;)

Funny thing? I use the keyboard viewer all the time (I have it in the toolbar) since I'm using a triple keyboard (US/Greek/Unicode). I thought that it was only what it said: a Viewer. Not once did it cross my mind that this thing was clickable. They should be calling it "Keyboard layout". Glad you thought of it, it didn't even register with me.

Luckily for both of us you didn't give up... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.