More Mac OX X host with Windows XP problems

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
memond

More Mac OX X host with Windows XP problems

Post by memond »

Hey, let's see if anyone here can help me.

So I am running on OSX.4.11 on my Macbook with a 2.16 GHz Intel core duo processor. It has 1 GB and 667 MHz blah . . . blah I think that should tell you enough.

I installed virtualbox (awesome application) and installed Windows XP fine, or so I thought. I gave it 600 MB base and 8 MB video. When I use it, it tends to run into problems. I basically installed Windows to use a program called SigmaPlot 11, but the software keeps having problems. I installed it no problem, but when I go to graph my data in it, the whole Windows software freezes up. The Mac pinwheel comes up like my Mac is doing something, but I just have to forcequit virtualbox. I thought it might be a SigmaPlot problem, but the same thing happened when I installed Firefox (as a test) and tried to use it. Now I can use Firefox, but the same issue with SigmaPlot arises.

Any thoughts? I would love some help! I just need to use this SigmaPlot thing for my lab work and my PI adores it.
amagine
Volunteer

--- freeze up ---

Post by amagine »

Hmmm, I noticed that this will sometimes occur when accessing a shared folder or the network.

Is Sigmaplot accessing data from a shared folder?
Does Sigmaplot access the network to talk, license etc...?

When/If things get flaky in VirtualBox, I just re-install the guest additions, it does not hurt and sometimes it cures a glitch.

I suppose there is also the chance that this is a graphics issue. The MacBook has integrated graphics by intel... I seem to remember it requires about 144mb of system RAM, and more if there are additional needs...

I wonder if it is possible that memory is being written over accidentally somehow, forcing a write to disk which would really slow the system down.

So if you are assigning 600MB ram to your Host + 144 is eaten by Intel Graphics, +any video overhead needs. Already you are pretty close to eating up 800mb of your 1Gb of ram leaving ~200 for OSX which at least needs 256Mb..

You could fire up Activity Monitor also, and monitor your RAM usage, watch to see if you are eating up all the Ram in the system leaving nothing for OSX.

If so try ramping down the Host Ram and see if that helps.

Worth a shot, unless anyone has a better clue to the problem.

mars