Update to latest Virtualbox causes Fatal boot error with Windows 10

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
rbmisc

Update to latest Virtualbox causes Fatal boot error with Windows 10

Post by rbmisc »

I updated to the latest VirtualBox 5.20 and tried starting my Windows 10 in VirtualBox to update the VirtualBox Extension package for it. Now I get Fatal: Could not read the boot medium system halted. I didn't have this problem before updating to the latest VirtualBox.

I have no problems with Windows 7 Pro, Windows XP or Ubuntu 16.

I have to power cycle my iMac to get out of this condition. I see that I have the Windows 10.vdi in the Windows 10 directory. What could have caused the fatal error to occur?
rbmisc

Re: Update to latest Virtualbox causes Fatal boot error with Windows 10

Post by rbmisc »

I found that VirtualBox after updating to 5.20 didn't have Windows 10.vdi in Storage setting. I was able to get it back in but I'm still experiencing lost Bluetooth connections to my mouse and keyboard. Also I see that Windows 10 is loading a lot slower than in the past.

I am also getting a failure to attach USB device. This is with all of my . Details are it failed to create a proxy device for the USB device. Error:VERR_PDM_NO_USB_PORTS
NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
ConsoleWrap
IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}

I have had no problems with any previous VirtualBox updates. I know I can't complain about it because it's free, but I sure wish it hadn't cause this problem.

Any suggestions as to how to get VirtualBox working again for Windows 10?
ChipMcK
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, OSX

Post by ChipMcK »

rbmisc

Post by rbmisc »

So why am I having this problem now when I didn't have it in the past. This only occurred after updating to 5.20.
rbmisc

Post by rbmisc »

I ended up setting up a new setup for my Windows 10 and used the Windows 10 vdi that is in the setup that wasn't working. I'm now back to Windows 10 working and not having any issues with USB and Bluetooth. So the update to 5.20 appears to have done something to the vbox file for Windows 10. That's all I can figure out.