How to Keep running VirualBox guest OS even when Host system logs off?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
thulasis

How to Keep running VirualBox guest OS even when Host system logs off?

Post by thulasis »

Dear All

I am new to VBox. To complete one of the project I choose VirtualBox. I am running Kubuntu 64 bit OS on Virtual Box and Mac OS High Sierra as Host OS.
I am running a Perl Script in guest OS which will take more than 24 hours to finish. Everything looks fine until I observed this fact. Whenever host OS logs off or Screens locks or idle for some time, the script running in guest OS pauses and resumes only when the Host OS active again. I cannot turn on Host OS display for every 5 or 10 minutes. Please suggest me a way to keep running VirtualBox guest OS even host OS is idle or log off state.

Thank you
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: How to Keep running VirualBox guest OS even when Host system logs off?

Post by socratis »

thulasis wrote:a way to keep running VirtualBox guest OS even host OS is idle or log off state
I'm afraid those are two completely different things. If you're idle (and most probably sleeping after a while), your applications are still up and running, including VirtualBox. When you're logged off, all your applications stop to work, including VirtualBox...

What you need to do is to change the "Sleep" settings on your OSX and your guest to never-sleep. You didn't mention your host (laptop or not), but make sure that the "Computer sleep" is set to "Never". And adjust your guest's power/energy preferences to never sleep, to never put the display to sleep and disable the screensaver.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
thulasis

Re: How to Keep running VirualBox guest OS even when Host system logs off?

Post by thulasis »

Dear Socratis

I did both that sleep never in both host and guest. If I went wrong somewhere, I'll check again. I forgot to mention that mine is Macbook Air 2017 model. Guest OS is Kubuntu