cannot install and open

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Jayne

cannot install and open

Post by Jayne »

Hi, I have a macOS high sierra and when I tried to install virtualbox version 5.2.0 it says the installation is failed but the application is shown. So I opened the application and installed the extension pack and window 7, but when I tried to start it says :

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Window 7.

The virtual machine 'Window 7' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1).

Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component: MachineWrap
Interface: IMachine {85cd948e-a71f-4289-281e-0ca7ad48cd89}

Do you guys have any idea how to fix this?
Thanks.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: cannot install and open

Post by mpack »

You posted in "OS X Guests", asking a question about a "Window 7" guest?

Please provide a VM log file. With the VM fully shut down, right click it in the GUI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (ONLY) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.

You DO understand that you need an Microsoft official setup DVD to install Win7, right? That choosing "Windows 7" from the VirtualBox menu only creates a VM suitable for Win7, it doesn't actually install Win7 (and obviously couldn't, without violating copyright).
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Jayne wrote:the installation is failed but the application is shown
Well either you're not describing it correctly, or the above statement is wrong. You can't have a failed installation and an installation that works at the same time.

We need way more details. Logs, screenshots, *exact* error messages, sequence of event that lead to what you're seeing. See Minimum information needed for assistance.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Jayne

Post by Jayne »

I looked up into the VM log file, it says no log files found and I have the window 7.iso file already.
Here is the screenshots

ps. sorry that I misunderstood about the name of the forum.

Thanks.
Attachments
Archive.zip
(196.75 KiB) Downloaded 49 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Moving to "OSX hosts" from "OSX Guests" since this is an installation problem, not a problem with a specific guest.

Jayne, you should worry first and foremost about VirtualBox not getting installed, not about your guest. If you can fix the installation, the guest will work correctly.

You're on OSX 10.13 which has its share of problems with the installers. Please take a look at "VirtualBox fails to run on macOS High Sierra - kernel driver not loaded". Try to upgrade to 10.13.1 which came out on 2017-10-31 and see if that helps. If not, there are instructions in the thread (mainly in my posts) to provide some diagnostic information. Please do...

For future reference, "current version", "latest version", "previous version" don't (generally speaking) provide accurate information. In a couple of months the "current" will definitely be different. It's better if you use the complete version numbers (including the build numbers) to identify software:
  • What's your host version? Full and complete details please. "OSX" isn't enough, "OSX 10.9.5 build 13f1911" is much better.
  • What's your guest version? Full and complete details please. "Win10" isn't enough, "Win10 1607, build 14393.969" is much better.
  • "Ubuntu" isn't enough, "Ubuntu 16.04, 4.4.0-59-generic #80-Ubuntu SMP" is much better.
  • What's your VirtualBox version? Full and complete details please. "The latest" is not enough, "VirtualBox 5.1.22 r115126" is much better.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.