Video Drivers

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
BeOS Guy

Video Drivers

Post by BeOS Guy »

Hey Everybody -

I have a 2010 Mac Pro running High Sierra and the latest VB with Win10 as a guest OS. Everything seems to work, I have USB 2.0, Apple wireless keyboard and mouse works, but the video is rather unspectacular. In full screen mode, the Win desktop is pretty small. I tried installing ATI video drivers but nothing changed. Then I tried installing Apple display drivers, and got a strange 64-bit error. The card I have is a ATI Radeon HD 5770, and the display is an Apple 20 Cinema Display. This is just a fun project, I don't have to do any serious work so there is no urgency, I just wonder has anyone else been able to get good, full screen video with Win10 as a guest OS?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Video Drivers

Post by socratis »

BeOS Guy wrote:I tried installing ATI video drivers but nothing changed. Then I tried installing Apple display drivers, and got a strange 64-bit error.
Your virtual Win10 computer has a virtual graphics card. It's not an ATI, it's not an Apple one. It's a fake, virtual graphics card. What you need to do is to install the Guest Additions (GAs) in the guest. While the VM is running, go to then menu Devices » Insert Guest Additions CD Image... You will be prompted what to do with the CD, if you want to run the Guest Additions. If not, launch Windows Explorer, navigate to the CD and run "VBoxWindowsAdditions.exe". Reboot the VM and you will have your full screen when you press HostKey+F (or via the View menu).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
BeOS Guy

Post by BeOS Guy »

Excellent reply - I rebooted the machine and now have a crystal clear full screen mode. As a new VB user I have to say this software rocks. I haven't used any other virtual software, never had the need or desire. As Mr. Jobs used to say, "it just works".
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

BeOS Guy wrote:As Mr. Jobs used to say, "it just works".
Great, thanks for the feedback. Marking as [Solved]. And as for the "it just works"... Wait until it breaks, Apple included! :D

PS. Not a bad nick, not bad at all ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.