[Solved] Windows 10 usb flash drive not mounting

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
ecollins
Primary OS: Mac OS X Leopard
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: os x

[Solved] Windows 10 usb flash drive not mounting

Post by ecollins »

I just created a new windows 10 VM and cannot access a usb flash drive. in Device Manager - usb mass storage device properties I get the message "The device cannot start. (Code 10) An invalid parameter was passes to a service or function". I installed the Guest Additions drivers but that has not helped. What device driver an I missing or any idea how to fix?
Last edited by socratis on 12. Oct 2017, 22:17, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Windows 10 usb flash drive not mounting

Post by socratis »

You either need to create a USB filter, or eject the device from your host first. Please read the following thread: USB basics and troubleshooting, all of the posts. If you still have a problem after reading through the whole thing, please follow the advice of the last post.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
ecollins

Post by ecollins »

I tried what your suggested. I had already created a filter. I read through the troubleshooting guide and did not learn anything new there. Any other suggestions?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I already gave you a suggestion:
socratis wrote:If you still have a problem after reading through the whole thing, please follow the advice of the last post.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
ecollins

Post by ecollins »

Fixed it!!!! Clicked on Settings in Virtualbox Manager. Clicked on ports -> USB. under Enable USB Controller the bullet was on use 1.1. I clicked on USB 3.0 clicked ok and then started up the Win 10 VM and it was now working fine.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Great, thanks for the feedback. Marking as [Solved].
Alexus

Re: [Solved] Windows 10 usb flash drive not mounting

Post by Alexus »

For me nothing helped - no matter if the USB controller is set to 1.1, 2 or 3, no matter is the filter is cleared off all strings but name, or the virtual machine is re-installed with drivers. What helped is just reinstalling virtualbox manager, leaving the virtual machine (WinXP) intact, so I don't have to reinstall OS. 1 minute to reinstall the vbox manager. So far so good. The printer connects at USB 1.1 controller with filter enabled.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@Alexus
You already have your own thread. Please do not pollute other threads, especially when they were just closed as [Solved].
jpete15
Guest OSses: Windows 7 & 10

Post by jpete15 »

ecollins wrote:Fixed it!!!! Clicked on Settings in Virtualbox Manager. Clicked on ports -> USB. under Enable USB Controller the bullet was on use 1.1. I clicked on USB 3.0 clicked ok and then started up the Win 10 VM and it was now working fine.
Thanks for posting this solution. Not sure if there's a way to create a "sticky" for this thread to show up at the top of searches, but it helped me immensely after trying to uninstall and reinstall different versions of VB on my MacOSX Host.

Would it help to suggest to the developers to make the USB 3.0 Controller the default option instead of 1.0 to alleviate this issue?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

jpete15 wrote:Not sure if there's a way to create a "sticky" for this thread to show up at the top of searches
Searches and stickies aren't too related, the listing at the top is. But with so many issues that *need* to be sticky, we'd end up with a bunch of stickies actually... ;)
jpete15 wrote:Would it help to suggest to the developers to make the USB 3.0 Controller the default option instead of 1.0 to alleviate this issue?
The templates are almost always setup so that they enable the minimum required options to make a guest OS work. So far there's no "flag" for USB3, although there are a couple of later version that actually require it to get installed. Win10 is not one of them that require USB3.
em125390

Post by em125390 »

ecollins wrote:Fixed it!!!! Clicked on Settings in Virtualbox Manager. Clicked on ports -> USB. under Enable USB Controller the bullet was on use 1.1. I clicked on USB 3.0 clicked ok and then started up the Win 10 VM and it was now working fine.
+1 thank you!