[Solved] download a browser without a browser

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
ciamurra
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: windowsXP

[Solved] download a browser without a browser

Post by ciamurra »

Win7 guest on Mac OS X (Sierra 12.6) host

Thanks to Socratis, I can go online. But I have no browser. This is not strictly (if at all) a question for VBox, but I am stumped. How do I download a browser without a browser? I've tried to download a link for Win7 from Mac, but all I get is message that it won't work with a Mac. Duh. I confess that even if I get a download link, I don't know how to use it without a browser. Does anyone know how to solve this chicken-and-egg problem?
Last edited by socratis on 11. Oct 2017, 21:42, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
towo2099
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian Sid
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Android, Linux

Re: download a browser without a browser

Post by towo2099 »

Windows 7 has InternetExplorer preinstalled, so i don't see your problem.
ciamurra

Post by ciamurra »

It's not installed. That's the problem. My husband used the same CD or download to install Win7, but he has IE. I guess the only remedy is to uninstall Windows and then reinstall, hoping the program permission is still valid.
To uninstall, do I simply delete the VM? I don't know how to uninstall Windows from inside, since it is the OS.
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

It would take a real effort to remove IE from a Win7 computer. And I do not recall Microsoft shipping a Win7 version without IE. So, please take another look. You should have a "Windows" key between your left Alt and your left Ctrl. It has the Windows logo on it. Press Win+R and in the dialog box enter "iexplore". Does this bring up Internet Explorer?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
ciamurra

Post by ciamurra »

Win7AllProg.png
Win7AllProg.png (104.15 KiB) Viewed 2871 times
My computer is a Mac, so I don't have a key with a Windows logo. Here is a screen shot of the "All Programs" menu on my VM Win7 guest
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Right, I forgot. You could use the Cmd key in your Mac for that purpose, so you could press Cmd+R. Or, in your start menu, right there where it says "Search programs and files", enter "IExplore".
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
ciamurra

Post by ciamurra »

Win7IEsearch.png
Win7IEsearch.png (45.88 KiB) Viewed 2867 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

What the heck!?! Look in the "Programs and Features" in the Control Panel. On the left hand side, there is a "Turn Windows features on or off". There should be an option for "Internet Explorer". If it's not checked, check it.

ciamurra

Post by ciamurra »

FANTASTIC!!!

Thank you :!: :D
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I'll assume that it works now based on the CAPITAL LETTERS ;)
Marking as [Solved].