VirtualBox crashing High Sierra - network connection the problem?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
jasehead
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mac OS X 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard)

VirtualBox crashing High Sierra - network connection the problem?

Post by jasehead »

I have upgraded my Mac to High Sierra 10.13 and the one thing that crashes the system is VirtualBox (running Snow Leopard 10.6.8 ). From the verbose load it seems to break after an Ethernet comment - so perhaps a network connection.

My VirtualBox network settings for my virtual machine had been set to Bridged Adapter>bridge0 and HAD been working fine on the previous OS before the OS upgrade.

Changing to NAT allowed the machine to load and share the internet, but no shared printing over Bluetooth. I suggest changing to NAT if you can't get past the verbose load.

Changed back to bridge0 and the machine MIGHT load but would crash on trying to use Safari (shared internet) on the virtual machine.

I'm currently trying Bridged Adapter>en0: Wi-Fi (AirPort) and the machine has so far loaded without crashing and I can use internet and printing OK.

Refreshing the sharing setup within Mac OS settings between the host and guest might make things more stable too.
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: VirtualBox crashing High Sierra - network connection the problem?

Post by socratis »

Just to make it clear, is it "VirtualBox crashing High Sierra" or "VirtualBox crashing on High Sierra"? Because I get the feeling that it's VirtualBox that's crashing, not High Sierra that's crashing, right?

Did you upgrade OSX from a previous version? If this was an upgrade, have you re-installed VirtualBox after the upgrade? You might have to, although it's a gamble, because people have been having all sorts of problems installing it.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
jasehead

Post by jasehead »

To be clear - my problem after upgrading to High Sierra is that using VirtualBox after the upgrade had been crashing my computer to scary-black-screen-with-text-then-restart. So when I say it crashes High Sierra, I mean that it brings down the whole system in a kernel panic and the computer restarts.

I tried reinstalling VirtualBox but it made no difference. The thing that made the difference for me was the network settings for the virtual machine.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I believe it might be time to hit the BugTracker. I'm pretty sure I haven't seen any similar mention so don't waste your time searching for a ticket, there's none. Open a new one, but make sure to include as much information about your setup, the symptoms, a crash log, and if you'd be so kind a reference to this discussion so we can cross-reference it.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
jasehead

Post by jasehead »

Just to report - ever since I changed the network settings to Bridged Adapter>en0: Wi-Fi (AirPort) my VirtualBox has been stable on macOS High Sierra 10.13. No system crashes at all since the change. I had Enable Nested Paging ticked before the problem, and still have it ticked now with a stable VirtualBox running on High Sierra.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

jasehead wrote:ever since I changed the network settings to Bridged Adapter>en0: Wi-Fi (AirPort) my VirtualBox has been stable
What was it set to before you changed it? An existing adapter? An existing adapter that got renamed during the upgrade?