Problems with Ubuntu (Solved)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
h1d
Volunteer

Post by h1d »

Forget about compiz under VBox for now. I don't know if other alternative products allow it, but dual (triple) booting certainly gives you compiz.

Swap is necessary (sort of) for Linux, boot camp is your Windows installation, 04 sounds like a free space but could be Mac OS X, and I suggest you don't touch partitions if you don't know what you are doing or you are sure you've taken enough backup (and prepare to spare some good amount of time if you get in trouble) and go ahead.
denzel

Post by denzel »

I think I'll forget running Ubuntu for know since I can't install it and don't want to take the trouble to. Thanks to all for replying though!
h1d
Volunteer

Post by h1d »

If you forget about compiz and install it as a virtual hard disk option that sits on host OS as a file, then installing Ubuntu is a piece of cake though.
denzel

Post by denzel »

I need a step by step way of installing it on a partition. It's very irritating when the computer doesn't do what you want. I always have to wipe my HD sparkling clean in order to get my whole OS back through a restore. Any ideas?
TerryE
Volunteer
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 10.04 & 11.10, both Svr&Wstn, Debian, CentOS

Post by TerryE »

denzel, I think that you've lost us or the way on this topic. You original post was started talking about sizing of your display, and we pointed out that you can easily do this by installing GA.

You then drifted onto the use of 3D accelerated GUIs and we told you that these were a no-no on VMs, any VM technoloy.

You have now drifted onto how to partition your HDD to set up dual boot Ubuntu (I think that's what you now want to discuss).

First, read the Forum Posting Guide; you are not following its guidelines. Second if you do want to discuss setting up Ubuntu dual boot, then you really need to go to the Ubuntu forum to discuss this.

Any more rambling and I will lock this topic.
Read the Forum Posting Guide
Google your Q site:VirtualBox.org or search for the answer before posting.
denzel

Post by denzel »

Oops. Sorry about that, just that too many Ubuntu features I really want I'm not able to use, so I'm quite upset about it. Once again, I'm sorry.
TerryE
Volunteer

Post by TerryE »

Denzel, please understand. We want to help you, but in return you must make it easy for us to help you. Read the Posting guide and follow its advice. We wrote it for a reason.
denzel

Post by denzel »

I think I'll manually go and partition. Thanks for you help! :D By the way. How do I like mark this topic as solved?
TerryE
Volunteer

Post by TerryE »

You edit the firstpost on this topic and edit the subject by adding [Solved] to the front :-)