[Invalid] can't see usb devices (#17130)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
mauricev

[Invalid] can't see usb devices (#17130)

Post by mauricev »

When using either the 2.0 or 3.0 controller, I can't see attached USB devices. When using 1.1, I can't partially see them (that is for drives, I see the drive, but not its partitions).

The guest OS is a bootable software cloning software called HDClone and it runs from an iso.
Last edited by socratis on 17. Dec 2017, 11:03, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Marked as [Invalid].
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: can't see usb devices

Post by mpack »

USB2/USB3 support is a feature of the extension pack, which is a separate download for copyright reasons.
mauricev

Post by mauricev »

So that means one of the bugs is in the extension pack and the other bug isn't. :D

Filed, https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/17130
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I'm not aware of any bugs from the discussion so far, just a failure to follow the documentation. I'm afraid the devs will not appreciate such a nothing ticket being raised. It would have been better to hash it out in the forum first.
mauricev

Post by mauricev »

I don't quite follow. I tested it twice and can assure you both bugs are reproducible in my setup.
erdeslawe
Volunteer

Post by erdeslawe »

As a matter of interest, which edition of HDClone are you working with? There are 6 different Editions!

I only ask because if you are using the Free (FE) or Standard (SE) edition then they are 'crippled' in that amongst other limitations, they don't support USB3 according to Miray's Software Manual.
Last edited by erdeslawe on 2. Oct 2017, 18:04, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

You barely described the problem, neither here nor in the ticket. With such non-description, there's no way in this side of the universe that anyone can fully understand what are you talking about and possibly address it. So, do you want to start again with a more complete description? Don't be afraid, this isn't Twitter, you can write a paragraph or two, provide logs, details, you know... a better description.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mauricev

Post by mauricev »

I am using the "Professional Edition Portable" edition. It works under certain VMs in VMWare Fusion.
mauricev

Post by mauricev »

OK, I created a virtual machine with the latest version of VirtualBox (with the extension pack installed, of course :) ). I assigned the machine to be Windows 7 32-bit. I attached the iso of HDClone 7.0.2. I set the memory to 1024 and VM hard drive to 120 GB.

The machine is summarily given a USB 2.0 controller. I booted it and HDClone boots to its main screen. I now unmount the flash drive dongle and USB hard drive from my Mac and attach them to the VM. I get checkmarks next to each to indicate they are attached.

When I click a function in HDClone, it begins spinning its wheels looking for the dongle. Now the first few times, I had given up immediately. Then I decided to initiate a manual activation. At that point, I get into the drive listing screen and as I recall it, only local VM hard drive showed up.

New information...while I was writing this up, I decided to start fresh and lo and behold, HDClone eventually (after about 4 minutes) sees the USB dongle, though for some reason, it's only 0 bytes in size (it's actually 4 GB). The 320 GB drive is also seen as a whole drive, but none of its partitions are showing up (just like with USB 1.1). Oddly, the VM hard drive itself is not showing up.

I am attaching the log file from the VM.
Attachments
VBox.log
(62.14 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
mauricev

Post by mauricev »

I did another test with USB 1.1. The dongle shows up immediately with the correct size and its partition. The USB hard drive shows up with only the drive and no partitions. However, I didn't notice this before, but the VM drive doesn't show up here either, so it looks like a third and very weird bug. How could the VM's own drive not show up? It could be the problem with the USB is tripping up HDClone's search function.

HDClone has worked perfectly on like a dozen physical PCs. It also works under VMWare Fusion, at least under certain OSes. I am proceeding to test VB under different OSes.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Since you're new to VirtualBox, take a look at USB basics and troubleshooting, all of the posts. Pay some attention to the fact that Win7 for example doesn't have native support for USB3, and I think that your Mac has USB3 ports and I don't know what your devices are.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mauricev

Post by mauricev »

I can confirm these bugs were present going back to at least 5.0.18. Earlier versions, I can't readily test because they don't install under OS X 10.12.5.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

mauricev please provide me with the information that is asked in part #8 of the USB Troubleshooting link that I gave you. Also:
  • Follow a start the VM from cold-boot / login / insert the USB / shutdown the VM cycle.
  • With the VM shut down completely (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).
mauricev

Post by mauricev »

I am uploading two logs, one with usb 1.1 controller and one with the 2.0 controller. Both with OS set to Windows 7 32-bit. The behavior is identical for every OS flavor I tested.
Attachments
Logs.zip
(39.1 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I need you to provide the information asked in USB basics and troubleshooting, #8: Asking for help.