macOS VirtualBox Issue

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Chester05

macOS VirtualBox Issue

Post by Chester05 »

Hello,
I have some issues with VirtualBox on my MacBook. When running a Windows VM, the screen resolution is stuck at a 4:3 ratio with no way to change it. I also have another issue - the Apple cursor appears on top of the guest cursor. Windows Aero cannot load.
Last edited by Chester05 on 25. Sep 2017, 13:01, edited 1 time in total.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: macOS VirtualBox Issue

Post by mpack »

In the manager UI (not the VM, which should be fully shut down) try going to File|Preferences|Display and setting Max Guest Screen Size to None.
Chester05

Post by Chester05 »

mpack wrote:In the manager UI (not the VM, which should be fully shut down) try going to File|Preferences|Display and setting Max Guest Screen Size to None.
I have tried that, but the guest VM still loads at a 4:3 screen ratio. The maximum screen resolution in the Control Panel is 1600x1200, and when set, the screen gets cut off.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Chester05 wrote: I have tried that, but the guest VM still loads at a 4:3 screen ratio.
It sure will, until you load a widescreen ratio in the guest, by dragging the window border if necessary. The setting mention stops VirtualBox from filtering available sizes according to the virtual monitor ratio. Now it's only the guest you have to fix.