VirtualBox 4.3.8 r92456 in Mac OS Lion doesn't release files

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
yol

VirtualBox 4.3.8 r92456 in Mac OS Lion doesn't release files

Post by yol »

Hi,

I still have the Lion on my old Mac OS and new VirtualBox 5 is not compatible with this OS.

So far, everything works great. And I have the .iso and .ova files in a Tardisk (128GB sd-card).
These .ova files were created by export and then I removed the guest Operating System (option to delete all files).

As I have many ova files (70 GB) in my Tardisk, I would like to move (copy/delete) to an external disk.

Problem: if I use Finder the message is that the file is in use; using terminal: resource busy.

I moved files from other directories without any problem.

Pls help to move my files in order to install other OSs inside the VirtualBox as now I'm stuck due to lack of space.

Thanks in advance.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: VirtualBox 4.3.8 r92456 in Mac OS Lion doesn't release files

Post by socratis »

yol wrote:Problem: if I use Finder the message is that the file is in use; using terminal: resource busy.
If a resource is busy, something is using it. Reboot, don't do anything VirtualBox related and try again. Oh, check also the files' properties if they are locked or not.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
yol

Post by yol »

Hi,

"If a resource is busy, something is using it. Reboot, don't do anything VirtualBox related and try again." -> I did many times: Closed the VirtualBox, reboot and then try to move the files without success!

"Oh, check also the files' properties if they are locked or not." Finder-> Get Info doesn't show that the files are locked.

Thanks.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Well, if you're not running anything VirtualBox related, then it's not VirtualBox that's holding the files, something else is. Open your Activity Monitor and make sure that there are not any Virtual*, VBox* or VM* processes running.

Another thing you could do is to download Sloth which can show you all the open files in the system and who has a hold on them. Powerful, it can have a huge output list, use the search functionality to search for your specific VM name. I would try "*.vdi".
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
yol

Post by yol »

Thanks for the tips:

- Activity Monitor, when I close the Virtual Box, doesn't show any process.

- Unfortunately, Sloth is valid for 10.8 onwards. Lion is 10.7

- I think that in terminal, I need to check/change the permissions (chmod) and the ownership (chown)

- Note that these files are in Tardisk that it's suppose to merge with the original SSD in the later MAC OS versions. But, with Lion didn't merge. So, it's some kind of external disk. But, the problem can be in this device.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

yol wrote:Activity Monitor, when I close the Virtual Box, doesn't show any process.
Then it's not VirtualBox.
yol wrote:Unfortunately, Sloth is valid for 10.8 onwards. Lion is 10.7
Did you miss the old versions link? I don't remember which one is compatible with 10.7 but 1.5 came out in 2010, so it's definitely compatible. I would try 1.7 or 1.8, it doesn't matter, they all do the same thing.
yol wrote:But, the problem can be in this device.
That's not a bad thought. But I'm repeating again, that if a process is not running it cannot have a hold on the files. No way.