Unable to use mac host webcam on a ubuntu guest os

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Andy8

Unable to use mac host webcam on a ubuntu guest os

Post by Andy8 »

I have set up a ubuntu14.04 guest OS on a Mac host(El Capitan) using VirtualBox(Version 5.1.26 r117224).I have also installed the corresponding VirtualBox Extension Pack(Version: 5.1.26, Revision: 117224) and same version of Guest Additions.However I am not able to use the host webcam in the guest os. When trying to attach the webcam to the guest os, the following error message is seen "VBOX_E_IPRT_ERROR (0x80bb0005)". Please guide on how to enable the webcam in the VM instance.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Unable to use mac host webcam on a ubuntu guest os

Post by socratis »

Andy8 wrote:When trying to attach the webcam to the guest os
Exactly how? Did you see the menu Devices » Webcams ?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Andy8

Post by Andy8 »

I have tried two options here.
1) From the host OS, I ran the command VBoxManage controlvm "<VM_name> webcam attach .1. This command shows the following error,
$ VBoxManage controlvm "ubuntu_14.04" webcam attach .1
$ error: Attach emulated USB webcam (VERR_NOT_FOUND)
$ error: Details: code VBOX_E_IPRT_ERROR (0x80bb0005), component ConsoleWrap, interface IConsole, callee nsISupports
$ error: Context: "WebcamAttach(path.raw(), settings.raw())" at line 1652 of file VBoxManageControlVM.cpp

2)Yes, I see the menu Devices » Webcams and I have tried to enable Devices » Webcams » FaceTime HD Camera .But it gives the following error,
Failed to attach the webcam FaceTime HD Camera to the virtual machine ubuntu_14.04.
Attach emulated USB webcam (VERR_NOT_FOUND).
Result Code: VBOX_E_IPRT_ERROR (0x80BB0005)
Component: ConsoleWrap
Interface: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}
Callee: IEmulatedUSB {6e253ee8-477a-2497-6759-88b8292a5af0}
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I can't say that I've seen this error on OSX before, or in any other host for that matter. I suspect an installation gone wrong, so could you re-install VirtualBox?
  1. Reboot.
  2. Download the latest release (5.1.28 as of this writing).
  3. Mount the DMG from the previous step. Run "VirtualBox_Uninstall.tool". Make sure there are no error messages. If there are, please post them, exactly as they appear.
  4. Reboot.
  5. Mount the DMG from the previous steps. Install "VirtualBox.pkg". As soon as you start the installation, press Cmd+L to show the log. Select "Show All Logs" from the drop-down menu. Before the last step of the installation (Done), click the "Save" in the log window. ZIP and attach that file.
  6. Start VirtualBox. If it crashes, open Console.app and look at "~/Library/Logs". Is there a VirtualBox related log with the current date/time? ZIP and attach that file.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Andy8

Post by Andy8 »

Hi, Thanks for your reply. I tried the steps suggested by you in the same order. However, the end result is the same. I am still getting the same error. I am attaching the VirtualBox installation log for your reference. However on a brighter note, I tried the same process on another MAC running the same version of OS and everything seems to work fine in that setup and I am able to use the MAC webcam in the guest OS.
Attachments
VB_Installer_Log.txt.zip
VB Install Log
(2.91 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Andy8 wrote:I tried the same process on another MAC running the same version of OS and everything seems to work fine
Then I would suggest to check the differences between your two Macs.