VMs suddenly crashing on MacOS

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Anonymouslemming

VMs suddenly crashing on MacOS

Post by Anonymouslemming »

Hi all,

I didn't use VirtualBox for about 2 weeks and when I came to use it today, any VM I tried to launch failed with an error similar to the following:
The virtual machine 'Centos' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1).

Result Code:
NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component:
MachineWrap
Interface:
IMachine {b2547866-a0a1-4391-8b86-6952d82efaa0}
After trying a number of things including disabling USB and disabling / enabling audio, I decided to reinstall.

I've done a reinstall as follows:
[*]Delete all VMs in UI (select remove files)
[*]Download latest dmg (VirtualBox-5.1.26-117224-OSX.dmg)
[*]Run uninstall script
[*]Deleted ~/Library/Preferences/org.virtualbox.app.VirtualBox.plist, ~/Library/VirtualBox, ~/VirtualBox VMs
[*]Rebooted laptop
[*]Reinstall VirtualBox from dmg downloaded above
[*]Create new VM - manual creation, no image or import or anything similar
[*]Start the new VM

I later tried the same uninstall / reinstall process, but included the step to install the extension pack (Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-5.1.26-117224.vbox-extpack)

The error still happens.

My OS is 10.12.6 on a Macbook Pro 13" (Early 2015).

A log file is attached from a clean install showing it still happening.

If anyone has any ideas for how I can solve this, it would be greatly appreciated!
Attachments
Crashlog.zip
Crash log
(13.82 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
Anonymouslemming

Re: VMs suddenly crashing on MacOS

Post by Anonymouslemming »

Right - I've got to the bottom of this. It appears to have been caused by the installation of Forcepoint Endpoint DLP onto my machine.

Does anyone have any experience running Virtualbox with Forcepoint Endpoint ?

thanks
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: VMs suddenly crashing on MacOS

Post by socratis »

I don't think I've seen too many OSX users using Forcepoint Endpoint, but it would be interesting if you could ask them what exactly they're doing to the system and if there are exceptions that need to be added for VirtualBox.

I couldn't see anything weird in the crash log, which makes it a little bit more difficult to understand what's going on from the VirtualBox side.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.