Fatal: Could not read from bootable medium! - Mac Sierra Host

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Alolorbie

Fatal: Could not read from bootable medium! - Mac Sierra Host

Post by Alolorbie »

This seems to be a common issue but despite going through several help forums I have yet to found a solution to my problem.

My host computer is a Macbook Pro running Sierra version 10.12.6. Running VirtualBox Version 5.1.26. I am attempting to create a virtual machine running Windows 10. I have created a 35 GB virtual disk (.vdi file) with 3 MB of memory and have the Windows 10 .iso file downloaded through my University. I have both the .vdi and .iso set up on the SATA Controller, ports 0 and 1 respectively. When I try to boot the VB I receive the "FATAL: Could not read from the boot medium! System halted" error. I attached an image with an overview of the machine I set up.

I am having trouble determining if it is the image file or the virtual disk causing me problems. I got the image file from a reliable source and there should be no problems with it as far as I know. Is there perhaps something I have to do with the .iso file to make sure it is bootable? I've read mixed things on this but it seems like VB should work directly with the .iso file.

Here is a section of my VBOX.log which may be helpful:

00:00:04.162419 VMMDev: Guest Log: BIOS: Boot : bseqnr=1, bootseq=0123
00:00:04.162839 VMMDev: Guest Log: BIOS: CDROM boot failure code : 0004
00:00:04.163197 VMMDev: Guest Log: BIOS: Boot from CD-ROM failed
00:00:04.163461 VMMDev: Guest Log: BIOS: Boot : bseqnr=2, bootseq=0012
00:00:04.168326 VMMDev: Guest Log: BIOS: Boot from Hard Disk 0 failed
00:00:04.168617 VMMDev: Guest Log: BIOS: Boot : bseqnr=3, bootseq=0001
00:00:04.168854 VMMDev: Guest Log: BIOS: Boot from Floppy 0 failed
00:00:04.169660 VMMDev: Guest Log: Could not read from the boot medium! System halted.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Attachments
VB.tiff
VB.tiff (116.2 KiB) Viewed 2624 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Fatal: Could not read from bootable medium! - Mac Sierra Host

Post by mpack »

Asked and answered more times than I can count. Please use Google search.
Alolorbie

Post by Alolorbie »

mpack wrote:Asked and answered more times than I can count. Please use Google search.
As I mentioned, I realize this is a common problem. I have read through several other forums related to this issue and watched youtube videos. I still have not found a solution, hence why I made this post. I also just updated my mac to the newest version of the sierra macOS so I don't know if that could be part of the issue.

I have tried changing the ports my .vdi and .iso files are configured under. For example I tried using a IDE controller instead of a SATA controller for the .iso disk. I have attempted to boot from the image file burned on a USB and just using the .iso file. I have tried simple fixes such as turning off the Virtual machine and opening it again, closing Virtualbox and reopening, as well as restarting my computer. I know I should have plenty of space set up on my virtual drive so that I can set up Windows 10 on the VirtualBox. I have tried deleting the machine I set up in Virtualbox and made a new one. I have tried uninstalling VirtualBox, reinstalling and going through the set up. I have tried redownloading my .iso file so that it will perhaps work properly. I have gone through and read sections in the VirtualBox user manual and I still can not get it working. I went through everything very carefully when setting up Virtual box the first time I installed it and created my first machine but do not know what I am missing.

For users who are very familiar with Virtualbox and the user forum I am sure there may be an obvious solution to this problem. However I am a new user and would appreciate patience from anyone familiar with this issue.

Thank you.
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

The message is clear and happens when Virtualbox cannot find something to boot.
So please verify your ISO checksum that it really was downloaded / transferred correctly.