VirtualBox 5.1.26 not starting on macOS 10.12.3 (Sierra)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
SwissLebowski

VirtualBox 5.1.26 not starting on macOS 10.12.3 (Sierra)

Post by SwissLebowski »

Hello,
I've been trying to run VirtualBox on macOS Sierra (10.12.3) after successfull installation and none of these work :

1) VirtualBox.app does not launch from the /Applications folder
2) sudo /Applications/VirtualBox.app/Contents/MacOS/VirtualBox gives following error

Code: Select all

VirtualBox: Error -610 in supR3HardenedMainInitRuntime!
VirtualBox: dlopen("/Applications/VirtualBox.app/Contents/MacOS/VBoxRT.dylib",) failed: <NULL>

VirtualBox: Tip! It may help to reinstall VirtualBox.
I've tried the "sudo chown root:admin /Applications" solution but it gives me following errors

Code: Select all

chown: /Applications: Operation not permitted
I've also tried disabling SIP, without more success...

Any more ideas ?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: VirtualBox 5.1.26 not starting on macOS 10.12.3 (Sierra)

Post by socratis »

SwissLebowski wrote:Any more ideas ?
How about stop trying to mess with your system and its permissions? That would be an excellent start. ;)

Have you disabled SIP at one point or another?
Have you installed system-wide software? Brew, MacPorts, etc?
Have you messed up with your system in one way or another? And I'm not talking about your user account, I'm talking about the system.

PS. Since there are more and more "can't install VirtualBox", I'm going to try and write a mini how-to, so my reply might take a little longer...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
SwissLebowski

Re: VirtualBox 5.1.26 not starting on macOS 10.12.3 (Sierra)

Post by SwissLebowski »

Hello !
As I said, i've tried to disable and reenable SIP as suggested in many posts.
Concerning permissions, my /Applications folder had appropriate permissions. Suggested chmod and chown where reported useful for similar issues and where worth the try.

I have indeed brew and MacPorts, as I needed them for dev purposes, but VirtualBox was installed via the official .pckg way.

Thank you for your future guide, that would be even more complete with an official answer from VBox team because until now the doc doesnt mention such recurrent issues.

Best regards,