[Solved] Changing host audio input aborts virtual machine (5.1.26)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
waldorfm
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Oracle Linux

[Solved] Changing host audio input aborts virtual machine (5.1.26)

Post by waldorfm »

Hello,

I've upgraded from 5.1.x, don't remember which version, to the latest 5.1.26. Now, when I change my audio input in the Apple menu, from e.g. Display Audio to USB Audio Device, my virtual machine aborts immediately. Well, I need to switch between my attached audio devices, Apple LED Display and headphones.

My host OS is 10.9.5 on a Mac-Mini 2012, with 16 GB RAM. The VM's affected are OL 7.3 and 7.4 - any kernel. Haven't used anything else yet.

I did not experience the same trouble with a previous version of VirtualBox, but I decided to update because text edit input in the GUI dialogs wasn't working properly, for example, when specifying the size of disk I could only type one number.

Anyone else who can confirm the trouble when switching audio input, using option-click on the speaker icon?

Btw, please don't stop supporting 10.9. Thanks.
Last edited by socratis on 21. Aug 2017, 21:02, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
ChipMcK
Volunteer
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, OSX

Re: Changing host audio input aborts virtual machine (5.1.26)

Post by ChipMcK »

XP Guest keeps aborting read the entire thread
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

I can't confirm or deny the issue, as I don't have multiple audio options. But, please try one of the test builds (https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Testbuilds) as they seem to address a lot of audio issues.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
waldorfm

Post by waldorfm »

ChipMcK wrote:XP Guest keeps aborting read the entire thread
Thanks. I read the whole thread, but I don't know what I have learned that would help me to understand or solve the problem. Before I realized that switching the host audio input causes VM aborts, with no suspending and resume option, I thought it might be sleep mode, but I have sleep, other than display, disabled.
waldorfm

Post by waldorfm »

socratis wrote:I can't confirm or deny the issue, as I don't have multiple audio options. But, please try one of the test builds (https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Testbuilds) as they seem to address a lot of audio issues.
I just installed 5.1.27-117558 including the extpack, after using the uninstall tools, and I no longer experience the VM aborts. Unfortunately I'm extremely busy with something else at the moment, but it looks like that that solved it. Thanks!
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

waldorfm wrote:[Thanks. I read the whole thread, but I don't know what I have learned that would help me to understand or solve the problem.
waldorfm wrote:it looks like that that solved it. Thanks!
And that was the point the ChipMcK was trying to "teach" you by reading the whole thread. ;)
That you should either update to the test builds or disable your audio.
Thanks for the feedback, marking this as [Solved].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.