Copy-n-paste failures

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
polson

Copy-n-paste failures

Post by polson »

Several colleagues and I confirm that copy-n-paste does not function with Virtualbox 5.1.x, so I wonder how folks here have overcome this situation (workarounds?) as I must stick with VirtualBox 5.0.x at the moment due to this bug.

Here are related bug reports:

https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/15782
https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/16242

It might be specific to macOS hosts with Linux guests, and as described in the bugs, copying rich text seems to initiate the problem.

It's been a year with no progress so perhaps people in this forum are in the know?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Copy-n-paste failures

Post by socratis »

polson wrote:It's been a year with no progress so perhaps people in this forum are in the know?
All *I* know is that I don't have this problem with any of my guests. You've got to remember that *only* simple text is supported. For example, you can't copy rich text as some applications usually put the copied contents in the clipboard. Try to copy from a Terminal or from a simple text editor.

If that doesn't work, please read the following: Minimum information needed for assistance and the comments in the tickets that you quoted.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
polson

Post by polson »

In every version before 5.1.x, we were able to copy text (let's say, any text from a guest browser) into the shared clipboard just fine.

As reported in the bug, plain text works fine right up until you copy rich text once at which point plain text no longer works either.

The bug report contains all of the required details, and I'm certain others experience this problem and see it as a bug. In the meantime we use 5.0.x, although I hope someone here posts a reliable 5.1.x workaround.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

polson wrote:In every version before 5.1.x, we were able to copy text (let's say, any text from a guest browser) into the shared clipboard just fine.
First as far as I know, rich text was never officially supported.
Second, did you also upgrade/downgrade the Guest Additions (GAs)? Did you try the 5.1.x VirtualBox version with the older GAs? You can try older 5.0.x GAs versions from http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.