XP Guest keeps aborting

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Palpaz

Re: XP Guest keeps aborting

Post by Palpaz »

Ok. I installed version Version 5.1.27 r117576 (Qt5.6.2) which I downloaded from the test build, and it works too (forced a sleep and then wake up - showed PAUSED momentarily and then RUNNING). Again, I didn't change any other setting.

I'm attaching the log file.

What is this "test" version? should I keep using this one or go back to 5.1.22? What happens to the "guest additions" that I installed with version 5.1.26? (neither when I downgraded to 5.1.22 nor 5.1.27 I installed the guest additions).

Thank you.
Attachments
VBox V5127_working.log
(67.22 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Palpaz wrote:What is this "test" version? should I keep using this one or go back to 5.1.22?
Test builds are "intermediate" builds. Builds in your specific case between the official 5.1.26 and 5.1.28. They are builds that include fixes that are going to be included in the next official release. Fixes that the developers feel are really, really safe to release to the public. If you should use them? Personally that's all I run...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I'd say that tests builds are what they say they are. When the devs have made a change and need someone to tell them if the fix worked, they release a "test build" for those affected to test. If it works, great, the fix becomes part of the next official release. If it doesn't work then they think again.

That's why I said that reverting to a random older version doesn't move us forward. Now the devs know that the fix works, at least for this sample of one.

Btw., depending on coding practices, test builds are likely to be unstable in other areas. I would not recommend using test builds as a matter of course for production use.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

The latest test builds should be stable since they usually are built from stable releases and then add the regression fix. It is the development snapshots that you have to watch out for.

That said I build (Linux version) and run from SVN which is what the development snapshots are built from and for the most part do not have an issue. Sometimes some things don't work properly ( audio, shared folders, & other special features ) but the general core works as advertised. In fact I have seen cases where they worked better than the stable release, but not for the faint of heart. You have to be able to fix things on your own.