NOLF GOTY and VirtualBox 5.1.26 (Mac)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Largo
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows XP Pro SP3

NOLF GOTY and VirtualBox 5.1.26 (Mac)

Post by Largo »

I'm attempting to run the PC version of the game "No One Lives Forever - Game of the Year Edition" on my Mac mini [late 2014 - El Capitan (Mac OS 10.11.6) - 3GHz Intel Core i7 - 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 - GPU: Intel Iris 1536 MB] with Windows XP Pro SP3 as a guest OS and I have run into the following error: 'NOLF error: Couldn't set D3D Emulation mode.'

I ran the guest additions in the Windows "safe" mode and installed the Direct3D Support and VirtualBox Guest Additions, but I still get the same error when I launch the NOLF game. Sure, this 'Direct3D Support' is listed as experimental, but someone should be making NOLF running successfully via VirtualBox 5.1.26 for the Mac a top priority! Yeah, I'm really biased on this one. But "No One Lives Forever" is one of the greatest FPS ever!!! Could someone please help me out here? Please .....
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: NOLF GOTY and VirtualBox 5.1.26 (Mac)

Post by socratis »

Largo wrote:someone should be making NOLF running successfully via VirtualBox 5.1.26 for the Mac a top priority!
This is not what the people that pay for the development of VirtualBox have as a top priority I'm afraid. In fact gaming as a whole has (I believe, don't quote me on that) the lowest possible priority...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: NOLF GOTY and VirtualBox 5.1.26 (Mac)

Post by mpack »

I assume that the request to make NOLF a priority was tongue in cheek. Still, without a VM log there isn't much else to comment on.