Installation fails on 10.13.x, 10.14.x (rc=-1908)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Installation fails on 10.13.x, 10.14.x (rc=-1908)

Post by socratis »

@PTP23,
I split your post from the "Kernel Panic - Bluetooth, Mac OS X 10.14.3 Mojave (#18107)" thread since it had absolutely nothing to do with your problem.

What did have something to do with your problem is the thread that I moved your post to. Please read the thread from the beginning.

Funny how you missed the thread, it's a sticky one (one that appears on the top) in the "OSX Hosts" section...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
PTP23

Post by PTP23 »

Clicked the wrong thread when I went to post because I just quickly saw the 10.14. in the other thread title and both were near the top. Thanks.
PTP23

How do you "load the kernel modue successfully"?Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908) Make sure th

Post by PTP23 »

Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)

Make sure the kernel module has been loaded successfully.

where: suplibOsInit what: 3 VERR_VM_DRIVER_NOT_INSTALLED (-1908) - The support driver is not installed. On linux, open returned ENOENT.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Seriously @PTP23? For real now?

I already merged a previous post of yours to the relevant thread, with the hope that you will actually read the thread! In fact I told you to read the thread from the beginning! :roll:
socratis wrote:@PTP23,
I split your post from the "Kernel Panic - Bluetooth, Mac OS X 10.14.3 Mojave (#18107)" thread since it had absolutely nothing to do with your problem.

What did have something to do with your problem is the thread that I moved your post to. Please read the thread from the beginning.

Funny how you missed the thread, it's a sticky one (one that appears on the top) in the "OSX Hosts" section...
The next post on the subject is simply going to silently disappear into the pits of Mordor!
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
PTP23

Post by PTP23 »

Yes. I did.

Here is what the Installer Log shows.
Apr  3 15:18:31 MacBook-Pro-de-Maria Installer[1422]: Package Authoring Error: <background> has an unsupported MIME type: image/data
Apr  3 15:18:31 MacBook-Pro-de-Maria Installer[1422]: Package Authoring Error: <background_scaling> has an unsupported MIME type: X-NSObject/NSNumber
Apr  3 15:18:31 MacBook-Pro-de-Maria Installer[1422]: Package Authoring Error: <background_alignment> has an unsupported MIME type: X-NSObject/NSNumber
Apr  3 15:18:31 MacBook-Pro-de-Maria Installer[1422]: Package Authoring Error: <layout-direction> has an unsupported MIME type: X-NSObject/NSNumber
Apr  3 15:18:42 MacBook-Pro-de-Maria installd[923]: PackageKit: ----- Begin install -----
Apr  3 15:18:56 MacBook-Pro-de-Maria installd[923]: PackageKit: Install Failed: Error Domain=PKInstallErrorDomain Code=112 "An error occurred while running scripts from the package “VirtualBox.pkg”." UserInfo={NSFilePath=./postflight, NSURL=file://localhost/Volumes/VirtualBox/VirtualBox.pkg#VBoxKEXTs.pkg, PKInstallPackageIdentifier=org.virtualbox.pkg.vboxkexts, NSLocalizedDescription=An error occurred while running scripts from the package “VirtualBox.pkg”.} {
	    NSFilePath = "./postflight";
	    NSLocalizedDescription = "An error occurred while running scripts from the package \U201cVirtualBox.pkg\U201d.";
	    NSURL = "file://localhost/Volumes/VirtualBox/VirtualBox.pkg#VBoxKEXTs.pkg";
	    PKInstallPackageIdentifier = "org.virtualbox.pkg.vboxkexts";
	}
Apr  3 15:18:57 MacBook-Pro-de-Maria Installer[1422]: Install failed: The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.
Apr  3 15:18:57 MacBook-Pro-de-Maria Installer[1422]: Displaying 'Install Failed' UI.
Apr  3 15:18:57 MacBook-Pro-de-Maria Installer[1422]: 'Install Failed' UI displayed message:'The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.'.
Last edited by socratis on 3. Apr 2019, 22:35, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Enclosed the information in [quote][pre] tags for better readability
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

That's not the complete log at the "Info" level... You might want to print the following steps, or save them in a test file on your desktop, because there are a couple of reboots involved, and you don't want to go "hunting" in the forums...
  1. Download the latest release, or the latest test build (NOT the development snapshot), if you don't already have them.
  2. Reboot.
  3. Make sure you're part of the "admin" group. If you are logged in with the primary user account/owner, you are part of the admin group.
  4. Mount the DMG from the previous step. Run "VirtualBox_Uninstall.tool". Make sure there are no error messages. If there are, please post them, exactly as they appear.
  5. Reboot.
  6. Mount the DMG from the previous steps. Double-click the "VirtualBox.pkg". As soon as you start the installation, press Cmd+L to show the log. Select "Show All Logs" from the drop-down menu. Before the last step of the installation (Done), click the "Save" in the log window. ZIP and attach that file.
  7. Start VirtualBox. If it crashes, open "Console.app" and look at "~/Library/Logs". Is there a VirtualBox related log with the current date/time? ZIP and attach that file as well.
PTP23

Post by PTP23 »

Here's the log.
Attachments
Installer Log 3-Apr-2019.txt.zip
(3.17 KiB) Downloaded 36 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@PTP23
Apr  3 18:30:15 MacBook-Pro-de-Maria installd[2058]: ./postflight: /Library/Application
    Support/VirtualBox/VBoxDrv.kext failed to load - (libkern/kext) system policy
    prevents loading; check the system/kernel logs for errors or try kextutil(8).
Read the thread from the beginning, the first post. Follow the directions in red letters...
PTP23

Post by PTP23 »

Yeah I know that was the first thing I tried. Oracle isn't showing up in Security preferences as being blocked.
Last edited by socratis on 5. Apr 2019, 07:56, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
PTP23

Post by PTP23 »

Okay never mind, tried that again and it worked. Thank you!
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

PTP23 [color=#A00000]@05:40[/color] wrote:Oracle isn't showing up in Security preferences as being blocked.
Yes, in that case the instructions call for a reboot, or to wait for 30 minutes or so...
PTP23 [color=#A00000]@05:48[/color] wrote:tried that again and it worked
And since the 2 posts of yours differ by 8 minutes, I take it that you rebooted the host... ;)
rahxephon

Post by rahxephon »

i have tried everything in this post but i'm not getting the allow button on system preferences, i have uninstalled several programs to no avail. is there something else that i could try?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

rahxephon wrote:i have tried everything in this post but i'm not getting the allow button on system preferences
@rahxephon
Did you reboot as per the instructions in red of the very first edited post?
rahxephon

Post by rahxephon »

yes multiple times, even tried installing on safe mode... allow button wont appear
Last edited by socratis on 1. May 2019, 07:58, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@rahxephon
See a couple of posts up (9 to be exact) for the instructions on how to get an installation log, a post of mine that starts with:
socratis wrote:That's not the complete log at the "Info" level... You might want to print the following steps, or save them in a test file on your desktop, because there are a couple of reboots involved, and you don't want to go "hunting" in the forums...