Installation fails on 10.13.x, 10.14.x (rc=-1908)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Installation fails on 10.13.x, 10.14.x (rc=-1908)

Post by socratis »

@cdc
If your first time VirtualBox installation failed, then that's the only known thing that can fix it. I need to to describe in detail what you did. Exactly...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Jupatrix

Post by Jupatrix »

I'm in trouble with my virtual box. After Mac OS atualization. I can't open my virtual machines, neither install new version of Virtual Box.
Attachments
Registro do Instalador 8-Nov-2018.txt.zip
(3.25 KiB) Downloaded 49 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@Jupatrix
Nov  8 22:58:32 MacBook-Pro-de-Jupara installd[673]: ./postflight:
    /Library/Application Support/VirtualBox/VBoxDrv.kext failed to load -
    (libkern/kext) system policy prevents loading; check the system/kernel
    logs for errors or try kextutil(8).
Read the thread from the beginning... The 1st post.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
CO-VBOX

Post by CO-VBOX »

On OSX High Sierra 10.13.6 on a Mid 2009 13 inch MacBook Pro. HighSierra was force installed onto this unsupported hardware.

I had the same error messages trying to run Virtual Box and during the Virtual Box post installation phase.

From a Terminal window my solution was:

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions

Background, my previous system update hung resulting in outdated startup caches in /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup compared to a newer /System/Library/Extensions/System.kext.

Listing "ls -altF /System/Library/Extensions" revealed that the Extensions directory had an older date stamp than some of the kernel extensions, so the cache needed to be rebuilt by touching the directory which starts up the kextcache commands needed to update the startup cache.

In all cases, VBoxDrv.kext failed to load with undefined symbols that are in com.apple.kpi.private.

My unsupported Vmware Fusion version 7.1.3 had the same problem - it was unable to locate the kennel symbol map.

Parallels 14 ran even with the incorrect cache.

VirtualBox 6.0.4 is now running, as is VMWare Fusion 7.1.3, as is a trail of Parallels 14.

So long, for today, hope this works for you. Apple's reinstall the OS for any problem would get you a fresh cache:)
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@CO-VBOX
You do realize that this is a hack and completely unsupported, right? Mainly because the foundation is not supported (OSX on your computer), not because VirtualBox won't run on 10.13/14...
Samuel:)

Post by Samuel:) »

Hello. I am unable to install VirtualBox. I am running OS X 10.13.6. I have tried every solution I can find on the internet including everything on this forum as of the time of this writing. I never received the System Preference "allow" prompt even after numerous reboots and extensive waiting. I have even entered recovery mode and entered the command:

Code: Select all

spctl kext-consent add VB5E2TV963
When I run

kextstat | grep -v com.apple
I get no output under the headers. I have attached the installer logs. Please help.
Attachments
Installer Log 9-Mar-2019.txt.zip
(3.21 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Mar  9 18:38:36 Sams-MBP-2 installd[493]: ./postflight: /Library/Application
    Support/VirtualBox/VBoxDrv.kext failed to load - (libkern/kext) authentication
    failure (file ownership/permissions); check the system/kernel logs for errors or
    try kextutil(8).
There appears to be something wrong with your system's permissions. Post the output of the commands (from /Applications/Utilities/Terminal):
  • 
    ls -aled@ \
      / \
      /Applications \
      /Applications/VirtualBox.app \
      /Applications/VirtualBox.app/Contents/MacOS/VirtualBox \
      /Applications/VirtualBox.app/Contents/MacOS/VirtualBoxVM \
      /Applications/VirtualBox.app/Contents/MacOS/VBoxRT.dylib \
      /Library \
      /Library/Filesystems \
      /Library/Frameworks \
      /private \
      /private/etc \
      /private/etc/sudoers \
      /private/tmp \
      /usr/local/lib

Yes, it is a big one, just copy/paste it in the Terminal.

@socratis here is the output of the commands:
drwxr-xr-x@ 30 root  wheel       960 Feb 25 00:51 /
	com.apple.backupd.unlockrecordUUIDs	     168
drwxrwxr-x+ 59 root  admin      1888 Mar 11 12:35 /Applications
 0: group:everyone deny delete
drwxr-xr-x   3 root  admin        96 Jan 25 10:45 /Applications/VirtualBox.app
-rw-r--r--   1 root  admin   5903952 Jan 25 10:46 /Applications/VirtualBox.app/Contents/MacOS/VBoxRT.dylib
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root  admin  33067904 Jan 25 10:46 /Applications/VirtualBox.app/Contents/MacOS/VirtualBox
-rwsr-xr-x   1 root  admin    157264 Jan 25 10:46 /Applications/VirtualBox.app/Contents/MacOS/VirtualBoxVM
drwxr-xr-x+ 63 root  wheel      2016 Dec 28 12:07 /Library
 0: group:everyone deny delete
drwxr-xr-x   4 root  wheel       128 Mar 11 12:35 /Library/Filesystems
drwxr-xr-x  10 root  wheel       320 Mar 11 12:35 /Library/Frameworks
drwxr-xr-x   6 root  wheel       192 Mar 27  2018 /private
drwxr-xr-x  88 root  wheel      2816 Mar 11 12:33 /private/etc
-r--r-----   1 root  wheel      1563 Feb 12  2018 /private/etc/sudoers
drwxrwxrwt   6 root  wheel       192 Mar 11 12:36 /private/tmp
drwxrwxr-x  27 sam   admin       864 Mar 11 12:35 /usr/local/lib
Last edited by socratis on 14. Mar 2019, 16:48, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Enclosed the information in [quote][pre] tags for better readability
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Samuel:) wrote:
drwxrwxr-x 27 sam admin 864 Mar 11 12:35 /usr/local/lib
This is your problem. In no way, shape or form should "/usr/local/lib" be owned by anyone else except 'root'. Please fix that.

I have changed the ownership of "/usr/local/lib" to 'root', but I am still unable to install VirtualBox.

I have also tried using "kextload" on all the .kexts in /Library/Application Support/VirtualBox/ but I receive the following errors:

/Library/Application Support/VirtualBox/VBoxDrv.kext failed to load - (libkern/kext) authentication failure (file ownership/permissions); check the system/kernel logs for errors or try kextutil(8).
/Library/Application Support/VirtualBox/VBoxNetAdp.kext failed to load - (libkern/kext) authentication failure (file ownership/permissions); check the system/kernel logs for errors or try kextutil(8).
/Library/Application Support/VirtualBox/VBoxNetFlt.kext failed to load - (libkern/kext) authentication failure (file ownership/permissions); check the system/kernel logs for errors or try kextutil(8).
/Library/Application Support/VirtualBox/VBoxUSB.kext failed to load - (libkern/kext) authentication failure (file ownership/permissions); check the system/kernel logs for errors or try kextutil(8).

I hope this gives more context. I am considering just installing a fresh OS.
SwiftRob

Post by SwiftRob »

Hi there,

I have two macs that are both failing to install VirtualBox.

I've tried the latest 6.x and recent 5.x installers and they do the same.
I've checked and the appropriate system folders are owned by root.
I've rebooted.
I've tried pressing the Allow Oracle button in the mac system security settings, but i DO get the feeling that button is not working.
MacOS 10.13.6 is the machine I'm sending the logs from.
Logs are here after an install: https://pastebin.com/ishJntdU

If anyone can offer some advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

SwiftRob wrote:If anyone can offer some advice it would be greatly appreciated.
Reinstall OSX. From the recovery partition. That's the only sure way of resetting the permissions that I know of.
SwiftRob

Post by SwiftRob »

Hi and thanks for answering.
I want to just check we're not getting our wires crossed.
I have 2 x mac computers and want to install virtualbox so I can run windows on them.
Are you saying I have to fully format both mac computers and start with a fresh OSX?
If that's the case it's something I can't do (they are not my machines). There surely is another way? Did the error log indicate something I can focus on perhaps?

Thanks again, I appreciate your answer.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Here's the thing... There can be too many things going on with (what you think) is a clean host installation. And I'm not talking OSX only, OK? People think that they have the cleanest installation, nothing added on. No. This is almost never the case. People install "things" and those "things" tend to screw up the host royally.

So, my advice? Start from scratch! I've been painstakingly trying to solve one too many problems. I give up. Just re-install it and get a fresh start...
PTP23

Re: Kernel Panic - Bluetooth, Mac OS X 10.14.3 Mojave (#18107)

Post by PTP23 »

Getting this error. What should I do?

Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)

Make sure the kernel module has been loaded successfully.

where: suplibOsInit what: 3 VERR_VM_DRIVER_NOT_INSTALLED (-1908) - The support driver is not installed. On linux, open returned ENOENT.