Installation fails on 10.13.x, 10.14.x (rc=-1908)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
java4ever

Re: Installation fails on 10.13.x, 10.14.x (rc=-1908)

Post by java4ever »

After renaming the KernelExtensionManagement folder, I was able to complete VB installation on Mojave. Thanks a lot, I wasted 2-3h on that!
ptram wrote:
TheQL wrote: In the end I could fix it by running the following from the rescue environment after unlocking "Macintosh HD"

Code: Select all

# chflags restricted /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/private/var/db/KernelExtensionManagement
# chflags restricted /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/private/var/db/KernelExtensionManagement/Staging
This worked for me, too! Thank you very much! You saved me another OS reinstall!

Another things I tried successfully was to manually trash the full "/Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/private/var/db/KernelExtensionManagement" folder. The system immediately recreated it, this time with the right "restricted" flag.

To empty the Recycle bin I had then to reboot in Recovery mode (Cmd-R), go to the Terminal, type "csrutil disable" and "reboot". When the Finder reappeared, I emptied the bin. Then restarted again in Recovery mode, go to the Terminal, type "csrutil enable" and "reboot".

All done!

Paolo
SergioDeNice

Post by SergioDeNice »

Hi,

Please help me, I can't find a working solution for my case in the top post.
Host : latest High Sierra, VB 6.1.34
Clean Reinstall of VB didn't work (via uninstall tool)
Adding VB to the accessibility list didn't work
Security's general tab tells me that some component was blocked but doesn't mention Oracle
If I try csrutil disable, install VB and use it, everything goes fine but once I re-enable it the VM won't start.
I am lost about what to do now, please give me some advice. Having csrutil disable premanently is a no-go for me.
Best Regards,

Serge
granada29
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux, macOS, Windows

Post by granada29 »

Please try the steps in viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104589#p509874

Other people have had success with this, but only by explicitly following all the steps in the order shown. You shouldn't cherry-pick the steps.

Enable SIP (csrutil) before starting. There should be no need to run or install VirtualBox with SIP disabled.
SergioDeNice

Post by SergioDeNice »

Hi

1. Open System Preferences -> Security & Privacy and unlock the General pane

Done

2. Select Allow apps downloaded fron: App Store and identified developers. Do not close the Preferences window.

Done

3. Open the VirtualBox installer image and ran the uninstall script.

Done. It asked me about FUSE, I replied Yes. Says «operation completed»

4a. If your host is running macOS Catalina or earlier, clear the kernel extensions staging from the terminal with
sudo kextcache --clear-staging

Done

4b. If your host is running macOS Big Sur or later, clear the kernel extensions staging from the terminal with
sudo kmutil clear-staging

No need

5. Install VirtualBox again.

Says «install failed»

6. The System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> General pane should show the "Allow" button for installing software from Oracle.

Done. Nothing changes in that pane. Button still there.

7. Reboot your system when prompted.

Never got prompted. Rebooted anyway.
Launched VB, tried to run my VM, which resulted in «Kernel driver not installed»

Please help!
granada29
Volunteer

Post by granada29 »

I'm sorry this process has not worked for you.
You could try again, but this time reboot after you have run 4a. sudo kextcache --clear-staging
sudokillall

Post by sudokillall »

Just chipping in here, genius advice from granada29, thank you.

I was in exactly the same position as SergioDeNice above, to the letter. I am running Mojave.

I tried the reboot after the clear staging command, then reinstalled and it completed. I then had to install the extension pack (https://download.virtualbox.org/virtual ... ox-extpack) before my VM would load, but all working again nicely. Thanks grenada29.
hlalibe

Post by hlalibe »

petersarum wrote:For info in case it helps anyone else (OSX Mojave 14.6), this has worked for me - - -

As per ptram's comment and suggestion 2 June - I trashed the full "/Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/private/var/db/KernelExtensionManagement" folder, and the system immediately recreated it, this time with the right "restricted" flag.

Thanks!
coming late to the party
I have 10.14.6 and tried pretty much everything to install Virtualbox, current versions, older versions, nothing works.
Where is this folder you have deleted ?
Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/private/var/db/KernelExtensionManagement

can't find it. I'm not that familiar with the folder structure under Mac
that might be my last chance to make it work
hlalibe

Post by hlalibe »

hlalibe wrote:
petersarum wrote:For info in case it helps anyone else (OSX Mojave 14.6), this has worked for me - - -

As per ptram's comment and suggestion 2 June - I trashed the full "/Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/private/var/db/KernelExtensionManagement" folder, and the system immediately recreated it, this time with the right "restricted" flag.

Thanks!
coming late to the party
I have 10.14.6 and tried pretty much everything to install Virtualbox, current versions, older versions, nothing works.
Where is this folder you have deleted ?
Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/private/var/db/KernelExtensionManagement

can't find it. I'm not that familiar with the folder structure under Mac
that might be my last chance to make it work
I managed to find the location of KernelExtensionManagement folder (by using terminal, moving to root, then following the path above).
But when I want to delete that folder (rm -r KernelExtensionManagement) I get this error message:
rm: KernelExtensionManagement/Staging: Operation not permitted
I made sure in system pref that Terminal has full disk access.
granada29
Volunteer

Post by granada29 »

If you have not already done so, I suggest you follow the procedures in viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104589#p509874

macOS provides a command (sudo kextcache --clear-staging) for doing what you are attempting manually.
hlalibe

Post by hlalibe »

granada29 wrote:If you have not already done so, I suggest you follow the procedures in viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104589#p509874

macOS provides a command (sudo kextcache --clear-staging) for doing what you are attempting manually.
Thanks for your input,
I was "forced" to upgrade from 10.14 to 10.15 Catalina for another program,
Then I tried again a normal install of Virtualbox and to my surprise, it worked.
So all good.
Thanks
Riot Nrrrd™

Post by Riot Nrrrd™ »

Well, Virtual Box 7.0.0 is out and it doesn't run on Mojave 10.14.6 or below anymore. :?

The 7.0.0 Release Notes don't even mention that it now requires Catalina 10.15 or higher. It just says

• macOS host: Dropped all kernel extensions. VirtualBox relies fully on the hypervisor and vmnet frameworks provided by Apple now. At the moment the implementation lacks "Internal Networking" functionality. This will be provided at a later date.
• macOS host: Providing a Developer Preview package for systems with an Apple silicon CPU. This is unsupported work in progress, and is known to have very modest performance.

Why is this? The installer shouldn't even let you install the app if it won't run on the OS.
multiOS
Volunteer
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: WIN11,10, 7, Linux (various)

Post by multiOS »

The Version 7.0.0 User Manual Section 1.4 lists the Host OS Versions that are supported, but I do agree that it would probably have been better still to flag a 'warning' in the ChangeLog.

Why this change is necessary is very probably down to the way Apple has radically changed the way its OS works, starting with the release of Catalina; and the fact that Apple quite rapidly ceases supporting 'older versions' of its OS and frequently 'upgrades' software security and hardware requirements which make earlier versions of its OS incompatible with newer hardware. Those actually funding VirtualBox development also probably see support for pre-Catalina Hosts as a very low priority, but VirtualBox 6.1 is still currently supported.